1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange theory, but interesting

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by anish, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anish

anish "Never Molted"

Ok, you guys are going to think I am nuts but, I' going to throw this out there just for fun....
    I live, breathe, eat, fly fishing. This requires studdying aquatic insects ALOT, as well as the different stages in the life cycle of the insects. Has anyone else noticed that it almost looks like hermit crabs have wing cases on their backs? Seriously, if you look at the back, it almost looks like the pupae stage of an insect. I realize that herms don't fly but, I can't help but wonder if at some point of evolution they did. Just a thought.
    Could you immagine having one of those getting caught up in your hair on a warm June night! :eeeek:

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:eek:mg: Freak-Out!!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

You ought to post some pics for comparison.

4. anish

anish "Never Molted"

As soon as I can figure out how (LOL!) I will. I am a little slow when it comes to computers. If you get on any site that has life stages of insects you will come across a pic. I'm sure. They look SO much alike it's really strange. If I can find a site I'll post it. :)

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I did read somewhere recently that hermit crabs are very close to insects, therefore are highly susceptible to insecticides, so I think you really have something there. :)

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

(Just found this topic and thought it was interesting, so I'm resurrecting it. And you can't stop me!)

I did some research on the highly accurate, reliable site of wikipedia about hermit crabs (that was all sarcasm except I did look on wikipedia). First, I thought it was interesting that it mentioned that hermit crabs have been using gastropod (snail) shells since the late Cretaceous period; before, they used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonite ammonite shells.

However, getting down to it, hermit crabs and insects differ all the way up at phylum (the second biggest category).

7. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I don;t think hermlets would be related to bugs! :add: :mind:

8. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Interesting... I think that would be creepy though, and a lot less peeps would want them as pets!

9. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Actually, hermit crabs are more closely related to spiders than to any other crab out there.

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

11. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

'Actually, hermit crabs are more closely related to spiders than to any other crab out there'

Hermit crabs aren't any more closely related to spiders than any other crab. They are much more closely related to crabs than they are spiders, spiders are only related up to the same sub-phylum, which is a very general category, much more general than even the crustaeoa (or whatever) group that crabs are in. They are more closely related to shrimp than true crabs and definately spiders.

And willow, you kind of replied 5 months since the last person, don't know if there's any rules about that! I think Anish kind of let go of that idea by now (sorry Anish if you haven't!!!) or stopped reading this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.