1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stories about your crabs for HCM!!!

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by willow555, Jan 11, 2010.

1. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

We are going to let you guys send in stories about your crabs!!! So... p.m. me your stories, and me and the staff will decide which will be in the newsletter every month!!!

2. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Of course you can!! Crabb_crazy would be the only person writing anything if we didin't!!!!!

3. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

It looks good, but I would send it to cococrisp in PM rather than post it if you want this to be a supprise. It's your choice really, but If I were you, I'd just copy it, delete it, then send it off to cococrisp so she can turn it into magic.

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Does anyone have any stories to share? Its not to late... :twirl: :dontknow: :idunno:

5. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

No crab stories? You can start entering them for next month's issue!

6. Donny (TMNT)

C'mon, guys! You can get you're little hermie friend famous!

7. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

I have a happy story to share.

I adopted Quaid about six weeks ago for a local organic/eco-friendly pet store.  They're very good with their mammals and fish, but the their reptile department has always been lacking.  I took my neice in to see the bunnies, ASPCA kitties, ferrets and such.  This weird three year old also love my snakes and hermit crabs, so she begged to walk over to that section I tend to avoid out of principal.  The owners are nice, but just don't know enough to keep reptiles healthy.

The hermit crabs were in a pebble substrate with rusting chicken wire for a climbing toy and all the store bought food you could want.  Obviously, no one was climbing or moving just piled up in a corner.  I had to pacify my neice who was begging to pet (She pets their shells.) a small crab in a white shell.  I picked up that little white shell only the find the majority of the crab's extremities were hanging out!  The shell was so small for this big guy that he couldn't even pull his head halfway inside.  My neice got nervous as even she knows that's not healthy, but patted him anyway.

Upon further inspection, noticed this guy only has 2 legs on one side and, luckily, both claws.  I took him immediately to the front counter and began asking my neice loudly in front of the owners how many legs hermit crabs have, if she liked his shell or thought he liked his shell, how hermit crabs shed their skin, what they like to eat when she helps me feed them, etc.  She was right there with me, very pleased to show off what she knows.  After showing them their own products (salt water tank sand, cuttle bone, fresh veggies for their rabbits, and freeze dried worms/shrimp) that would be wonderful for their crabs, my neice was that and rewarded with that 4 appendaged crab, Quaid as "Quad" would just not be a good name.

With limited and at best sluggish mobility, my neice helped design his ISO tank and picked out appropriately sized shells from my stock: whiter sand, tiki hut, shells for salt and fresh water, etc.  For six weeks, he's barely moved.  He did change shells immediately, but there were very few crab tracks around the food and water dishes. 

My neice informed me yesterday around noon that it was time to check on Quaid while I was on the phone with her and her mother.  Once again, he must have changed shells, but he wasn't in any of the shells I could find, so I peeked through the bottom of the glass tank.  There was Quaid eating exoskeleton with all 6 legs!  Granted 4 are very small compared to the other two, but he'll make them grow.  He's a survivor afterall.

Thanks for reading my super long story!
    ~Flamelet~

8. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

If you P.M. this FANTASTIC story to me, and i KNOW it will get put in next months issue!

9. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hey, Flamelet! Nice to see you around here again. :) That's a great story. What did the pet store say about it? Will they change anything? I have no good pet stores around me now (I just moved). None of them carry hermies but I bet that's good for them because I'd pester them so much if they did about their care. We can put that in next month's monthly. :)

10. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I LOVED THAT STORY!!!!!!!

11. imported_CoolDoggy10

imported_CoolDoggy10 "Preparing For First Molt"

Here's my story!
    When my science teacher told us that we were going to do an ecosystem project  thought it a fun project. You had to bring an animal, and a plant and tell how they relate. So I thought I was going to bring a turtle. But I live on the North Carolina and South Carolina border line. So when I went to Petsmart in North Carolina, there were no turtles and the guy said that NC banned turtle buying since salamella (hope I spelled it right). My dad told me that we are not going to SC just to buty a turtle, so I had to make a choice. Frog, Fiddler Crab, Fish, or Hermit Crab. I got a hermit crab and been owning one for a year.

12. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Cool, CoolDoggy! Which plant did you bring?

13. imported_CoolDoggy10

imported_CoolDoggy10 "Preparing For First Molt"

I didn't know that it was bad for crabs but i brought Diffenbachia

14. hermylover

hermylover "Never Molted"

I have some stories too.....

#1.      When I first got one of my hermit crabs I had no idea what to name him.  My friend suggested some names but I didn't like them.  I played with him examining his personality.  Finally I set him down almost giving up and calling him no name.  But, then when I set him down he dashed over and I decided to call him Speedy.  Since then he is the fastest moving crab I have ever seen.

This story is in honor of Tickles my hermy that just passed away yesterday night:

#2.       When I got this hermit crab she had a fancy goldfish on her shell.  I was thinking of all sorts of marine related names.  The as I was holding her up she took one of her legs, it was very long and there was no "nail", she took that leg and was rubbing it against my finger and it tickled and she was named Tickles. The first hermit crab to tickle you. :)

This wasn't one of my hermies and it is a very sad story but I thought it should be mentioned.....

#3.         One day when I was with my friend looking at hermies at Petsmart we were picking them up looking for an active hermy for her I picked up a hermy about to hold it and it fell apart every limb seperated.  This hermy began to decay and it wasn't noticed.  A very bad experience for those weak at the stomach and those new crabbers.  :(

These are all my stories.  Thanks for reading them.

15. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

Very nice, HermyLover!

16. Donny (TMNT)

I know you guys are really excited to show off your awesome stories to everybody, but if you want it to be a supprize for everyone, you can PM cococrisp. You don't have to, it's just a suggestion.