1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Store In CT

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Samantha1978, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samantha1978

Samantha1978 "Never Molted"

Well my mom told me that she saw hermit crabs in this little stand at the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, Connecticut. Since my Big man had just passed I decided to go check it out with my son and buy some companions for my other crab. When I got to the little stand in the middle of the mall I was immediatel disgusted. The first thing I noticed was all the water dishes were empty. The crabs were all in painted shells and there were missing legs laying all over the tank. The tank was a big like plexi glass box with two square cut outs so you could grab out the crab you would like. There was one hermie hut and all the crabs were in that. No sponges anywhere. [​IMG] I was soooo mad. I picked up one little crab and a lady came over. I immediately told her that she needed to fill the water dishes. She pointed to a bottle of poland spring and a spray bottle. I told her they would die if they didn't get water or sponges. There was one light hanging in the middle of the tank. Pretty close to the sand. I think it may have been too hot for the little guys. She didn't speak good English and I could tell she didn't really care what I was saying. I bought three hermies and left. Two small ones and a big one. I put them in a tank together so they can destress. One of the little ones looks pretty beat up and I hope he makes it. I didn't bath them just gave them a quick spray. The big guy went right to the salt water and stayed there for quite awhile.

I plan on going back to this stand with a detailed care sheet and demand changes be made. I am also going to call the company that owns the mall and make a formal complaint. Is there anyone else I should contact? These hermies were in terrible shape. Some laying on there backs. No sponges or water. I don't even remember if I saw food dishes. Definetly no temperature or humidity gauges. [​IMG] If anyone else lives in Connecticut please make a complaint. Thanks

2. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

hope you can make a differents. my pet shop was the same well until they meet me now they have water and food it is not the best but it is ok.

3. hermit_crabs_rule

hermit_crabs_rule "Never Molted"

"Some pet stores have NO common sense!Like crab island in the Viewmont Mall.The poor hermit crab had this tiny shell on,all the shells were over sized,and the crab may have been stuck in it!It was probably going to die.No lid.I don't even know if they and food or water!No caresheets there,no gauges.I think they had a sponge.I picked the crab up.I almost started to cry.All the crabs were piled up on each other except for a few.There was no room for all of them.It was about 2x bigger than my AQUARIUM and there were,I'd say umm... about 60 crabs there.I have an aquarium(10 gal.).If I get another large,I'll need a bigger cagee!The cage at the mall wasn't an aquarium,either.And I think they were $8!I hate that hermit crab store!They sold these little cages to keep them in.|:-<"

places that sell pets should ahve to pass a BIG test and promise that they willprovide the BEST care for the animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.