1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stitch has a Glitch...

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by wickedannabella, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ...He's giving me an excellant photo op!  He's done gradiated from a dime to a penny.  lol  And after his last molt, I've noticed he's getting a BLUE hue!!!  *snoopy dance*  :partyhat4:

[img=260x300]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/February2407003.jpg[/img]

[img=300x224]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/February2407005.jpg[/img]

[img=300x241]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/wicked_annabella/February2407012.jpg[/img]

2. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Hes so cute congrats.

3. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

What a sweet wittle blue E you got wickie! I just may have to come visit you and take him off your hands!  :rubhands:

4. *gets out supersoaker*
    Back off!  He's MY wittle guy!  LOL.

I hope he continues to turn Blue.  He's had about 6 molts with me since I got him in September (that I KNOW of, but the little ones seem to molt every couple of weeks or so!)

5. starmaiden

Feed him lots of coconut. I've heard that something in coconut helps blue crabs turn bluer. Birgus latro (coconut or robber crabs) that eat lots of coconut eventually turn a deep electric blue.
    [img=300x197]http://isopods.nhm.org/people/wetzer/images/birgus/birgus2001.61ndp.jpg[/img]

6. Wow, I DO feed them coconut!!  WOOhoo!  I guess I was helping him along and didn't know it!  Lilo is still pretty grey right now, but she's still smaller than a dime as well.

7. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

beautiful little E Wicked.  i'm a total sucker for the blue ones too and he's a cutie.

star, can you remember where you read that about the coconut?  i'm gonna have to research that, that is very cool.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Those coconut crabs ALWAYS give me the willies... :dontknow:

Wick's gonna toss in whole coconuts for him LOL

9. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Here's some info I found:

' Strawberry and Ecuadorian hermit crabs, in particular, suffer from carotene deficiency. If a strawberry hermit crab isn't fed enough foods with carotene, the next time the crab molts, he will wash out into a pink or even white color. Ecuadorian crabs that don't get enough carotene molt into blue or green. The washed out E-crabs are pretty, but as a pet owner, you are more concerned with their actual health than their appearance.'
                                                          - Kelli A. Wilkins
                                                            Hermit Crabs for Dummies

I think coconut doesn't contain any/enough beta carotene... not 100% sure, tho.

10. That doesn't seem right because they get carrots all the time along with papaya and other fresh fruits and veggies.

11. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I hear you Wickedannabella. I have an E who is very blue, a micro. Although he is cute with his blue skin, I hope on his next molt he gets some color for me. The other micros I purchased the same time as him have all turned orangey brown already!

12. starmaiden

That's not really correct.  :think: Ecuadorians tend to be grey or bluish when they are small and darken up when they get older. The trick is to feed them coconut and carotene rich foods at the same time.

13. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Well, I am not here to argue with anyone... this is what I found, and it makes sense. A crab with a pale coloration, any species, is lacking beta carotene. Yes, E's tend to be blue, grey or green colors when they are young, but the micros I purchased about 3 months ago have all gained color since they have molted with me accept for one. Unfortunately, we can only provide them with good foods, but can't monitor what they put in their belly. They may run off with a piece of coconut rather than a piece of krill.

I never disagreed about the importance of coconut in a crabs diet.

Here is a multicolored pic of B. latro with blue legs and a orange/salmon carapace.
    [​IMG]
    And here you can see a B. latro in both the black and red phases. I'm betting the black one has a royal blue belly.

[​IMG]

More pics to freak Vicki out even more LOL!!!

14. starmaiden

No need to argue here either crabaddict!  :) I'm trying to find that info on coconut turning a crab blue, but I can't seem to find where I read it. I seem to recall a fellow by the name of Mokulele_Hawai'i posting some info about it.

15. OUCH!  I bet they really hurt when they pinch!!!

16. starmaiden

I'd love to have a few of those for a pet! I'd need about a 1000 gallon tank I think for them to be happy though! Maybe I should move to S. Florida and keep them in my backyard?  :partyhat4:

17. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

They freak me out too!  Blah! 

Stitch is a cute little E!