1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still not sure how to create levels..

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by kissmeimgone, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

Hey guys..Im still not completely sure on how to make new little levels in my crabitat..Any suggestions?

2. ma8201

ma8201 "Never Molted"

I have always heard that shower caddys with suction cups work. I myself have yet to try it. I do plan on buying some soon.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I use suction cup soap dishes, I like them better than the shower caddies because they are not so deep and the shower caddies have bigger holes. If you are maybe using the shower caddy to put a moss pit then I am betting it is a better bet than the soap dishes. My soap dishes are from the dollar store and I have 2 with a net zip tied to the holes in them so they can get up there. Then I took a few vine plants and wrapped them around the dishes so you don't see them as much.

4. kissmeimgone

What if ur hermies fall off the level? ;o Also..what are hamp nets and are little net ladders able to be climbed by crabs onto the higher levels?

5. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Mine have never fallen off. I do have the plants wrapped around them and they touch the ground so they can climb up and down those too. Just look under my tat in this biography of our crabitats section and you will see what I am talking about. You can also put them in the up against a side wall so that you only have to worry about putting something around the front and 1 side. Like I said I have never had a crab fall and with the short distance I was told that it isn't a big enough fall besides it being sand is not a problem. Just don't put a water dish or something hard under the 2nd level.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've had hermit crabs fall off levels. You have to remember they climb trees in the wild, they are bound to fall once in awhile. You might want to make sure only bedding is under the areas where you have second levels, that way they fall onot substrate rather then a bowl, rock etc.

7. kissmeimgone

I see..so it would be best to put water bowls and food dishes on second levels?

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I myself wouldn't do that. I've had crabs fall from climbing and fall from my second level and they were just fine. It's not like they are dropping (as Vicki said) out of a tree six feet up, but rather several inches to a foot or so onto the substrate. Also as Vicki mentioned, if you have a corner shower caddy or a soap dish or even netting mounted in your tank, try to put your dishes somewhere on the substrate floor so they won't be right under the second story devices. This way if they do fall, they won't hurt themselves by crashing into a dish or other hard decorations.
    Hermit crabs are very tough creatures, so I really wouldn't worry too much over this. :)

9. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

are zip ties safe? wont they pinch it off and eat it. wait i just had a mental image of that! pretty funny!

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

zip ties are my hero- they do wonders for many things- they may get chewed up but just replace them

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I love this thread! Where can you find hemp nets and suction cup soap dishes? I would get them at Vicki's store but my parents won't let me shop online. What are zip ties?

12. clover

vicki buys hemp and it saysshe handmakes them! where do you get plastic hook suction cups? i loked on hermit crab addiction today and she is out of them

13. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

Ive seen hook suction cups in a few discount stores.

14. clover

plastic hook? remember hermies cant have metal in thier tank

15. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Walmart has locking plastic suction cups in the bathroom department, they come in packages of two.
    You can crochet or knit your own hemp nets (or ask someone who loves you and knows how to crochet or knit to do it for you lol) from natural hemp that you can also buy at Walmart (cheapest) or Michaels. Do NOT buy the colored hemp, the chemicals and heavy metals used to make the colors adhere to the hemp are toxic to the hermies. I've crocheted several nets for my crabitat. After you crochet the net, boil it up in some dechlor ocean salt water, and rinse it well. If you don't the net will feel slimy when wet, so you want to just get whatever that is rinsed out of it. :)

16. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I never crocheted or knitted before but it seems like a lot of fun! If I fail I could always ask my grandma. She doesn't enjoy it very much but is great at it!

17. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I learned when I was quite young, and forgot, but found some videos on youtube that showed how and made it pretty easy for me to remember!
    This is a good one: YouTube - how to crochet 1
    and the second one: YouTube - How to Crochet 2 Ask Aunt Esther

Oh almost forgot! You can also pick up a Nifty Knitter at Walmart (the kind that lets you knit scarves and things) and that works really great too! It makes the nets very thick and stable, but you can be creative. I made one and it almost looks like a piece of cholla wood as its rolled up kind of tight lol. It's great for them to climb on.

18. clover

i can knit better than i can crochet but it would be one jacked up net! vivki buys colored is that bad?

19. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Vicki says she has used the colored nets in her tanks with no bad results, her crabs were fine. :)

The colored hemp at the craft stores could be colored very differently than Vicki's nets, so I'd only buy the natural (unwaxed) hemp if I were going to knit my own.

20. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

Most hemp is died with all natural dyes as to keep the hemp an all natural product. There are many places you can buy hemp. I have a lot of hippie stores and earth type stores around me that sell hemp very cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.