1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sponge getting gross

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by BrittBritt, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrittBritt

BrittBritt Hi, I'm New Here!

I have sponges in both of my water bowls to help my little hermit crab out of the bowls, but I noticed that they are starting to get slightly slimy.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of that or better solutions?
    Thanks!

2. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Hello,It is not good to use a sea sponge in the water dish because of bacteria.There are other things you can use to help crabs get in and out of the water like scollop and pectin shells,small pcs. of coral,small pebbles or rocks,marbles.Some people use the plastic needlepoint canvas from a craft store. Do not dismiss using a sea sponge in other ways,crabs love to eat it and it provides nutrients. I boil mine in marine salt and place small pcs. in a deep shower caddy or a large sponge for climbing(this I use only a few days at a time so as not to mold) ,I put in a upside down coconut hut.The sponge pit can be misted or not,it dries out quick enough not to mold especially if it is near the heating source.I find that the small pcs smell beach fresh and my crabs love to nest in it and nibble and they will shred the sponge into a fluffy poof.The trick is to keep the sponge off the substrate and out of the water. I have been doing this sucessfully for over 2 years. I like using the sponge pit over moss because of mites.
    IBlab crab

3. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Sorry I think my post was confusing.The large sponge that I use in a upside down coco hut,I only use a few days at a time. The sponge pit is permanent in my tank and never mildews.
    IBlab crab

4. sirenequidanse

sirenequidanse (Micro Crab)

I have not heard of a sponge pit until this post.

5. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Because I came up with the idea and the first to do it! Others are trying it. I have been crabbing since 1976 and have never had mites
    Also try a oak bark and leaves soap dish caddy! That has been a big hit in my tank too. I came up with the idea because pp's spend most of their time in trees and love eating bark and leaves. Sorry to come across arrogant,but I am proud of my ideas.
    IBlab crab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.