1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Species Identification

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by reader101, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reader101

reader101 Banned

:confused:
    Can someone please post some information regarding identification of species? Some of mine are easily identifiable (i.e. PPer's), but some others are so varied, right down to a zebra-type carapace and multi-colors, and frequently changing, they can throw me right off! Once I get into the E's, the variation is basically a guess.
    Help!

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

3. reader101

reader101 Banned

Hi, Jason. Can you help me learn my way around here a little more?
    Specifically, I was trying to find a description (Black shell & body, dollar-size) then maybe some pics to look at that fit the description.
    Thanks
    :confused:

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

Thanks, Vicki...The more I look at perlatus' pictures, the more certain that I have at least 1, if not two on my hands. Both have hunkered down, so no more close looks for a while, but I recall the eyes were huge, red on short stumpy stalks. Reminded me of the headlights on a v-dub! Some people have said they are more difficult to care for - is this so? If yes, what do I need to know? Just the first pg. of pics told me that of the new group of 6 (I bought sight unseen/4 donated), there are likely at least 1 rug and several compressus - and hopefully 2 Straws! I know they are nothing like any of my PPers, so have to be patient until they're ready to come up. They are sooo huge!
    :D

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

Is anyone familiar with the perfect brand of a cap. "A" on the carapace? Panic time yesterday when I discovered my jumbo gentle giant, "Andre" forced out of - not his, but hers - proven, shell and rapidly fading. This is the gal who has been 2/3 out of her shell for over a year, in spite of numerous choices. Aside from her gender, the "A" was very outstanding. She is now resting in a jumbo carved Perth Turbo, with a hearty appetite, but I wondered if the brand might give a clue to her identity.
    Another thing I noticed as well, that I have noticed in previous naked hermies that I'd like to learn more about is that many appeared to have what I would have thought as a tumor, hernia, growth on the upper left edge of the abdomen, opposite of the curl. Could this possibly, if squeezed into a shell, appear as a molting sac? It always appeared as darker, a bulge, but not more a fluid sac as I understood.
    Any suggestions or experience on anatomy and the molting sac?
    Thanks.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Straws are definately more fragile then the rest of the crabs. I've had a few, the one that did the best was a juvenile. I adopted her out to a fellow crabber. The rest were really big and didn't last long. They need alot of room and they can thrash the tank really good. I had 3 jumbos that I adopted and was holding until the new adopter could come get them. They destroyed my tank overnight.

As for a molt sac Ive only seen them be a darkish color.

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

Can you possibly guide me to the proper care necessary? These guys are definately jumbo size (just to let you know - PPers' are a choice find in my part of the country, and Straw's are unheard of). Somehow, these guys wound up mixed in with at least 3 other species! (The smallest 4 were adoptees.)
    As far as trashing the tank, I find the little guys can do it (any species) better, as they are faster! They do, however, respect sr. resident's rights. All of them get excited at the idea of a fresh tank to "par-tee down"!
    I do have the largest settled in the large tank, and buddy in iso, icu. Appeared doa, no movement, even in bath. Well inside shell - no clues. Right into warmed iso, food, water, shells available. In 18 hrs. s/he had done a 180 into food, then water. Doing better every day. Displaced "Andrea" is comfortable in other priv. iso in her new Dolphin Perth Turbo shell - learning to manouver & stand.

Was the sac inside or outside the shell? The protrusions were always on the left side, opposite the curl, and usually a brownish/purple bulge at the top.

I'd like to learn more as to whether this might be some disease, a normal process part of molting - i.e. food storage, (and may possibly be a reason for a naked hermie...after all, if you've ever had a child, you'd like to get out of your body too!), or even food-related. Do you think FMRI might have this info? I haven't checked in since Don's death. I think there might be a site somewhere that shows naked hermies (gruesome, but helps learn why your hermie died).
    Thanks

9. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

Can you get a couple of good photos of them? I'm pretty good with ID'ing but its muuch easier with a pic as the shapes of the body parts and coloring are more apparent.

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Reader they just need higher temps and humidity 80/80 works best--they need large dishes to soak in - molts saks are on the left (their left) and are normally dark in color but I have seen lighter ones. They like fresh same foods (add more papaya) I was a bit lost on all the questions above so forgive me. If you can post a pic we will be able to tell what species for sure there are many dark PP's that are mistaken for Straws. I have 7 species and can ID for you. There are tricky ones out there.
    I agree with Vckums the smaller tend to fare better at adjusting!

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

Thanks for your help, Herm & Frogg. It's been one week today since they came home, and a wild one, to say the least!
    There were two jumbo's that didn't appear at all similar to my PPers. One very active, (now hunkered down in main tank) and one I presumed dead (now moving freely in iso, eating, drinking...eyeing a few shells. Has a tremendous thirst!) Will give a week or two.
    Wouldn't it be common regardless of species to have a common side for the molt sac, as they basically all curl to the right?
    Interestingly, that is exactly where naked Andrea's sac was, but I wasn't seeing any other signs of molting. I should note she spent her last two active days (Wed. & Thurs.) furiously rubbing her legs before dumping an entire exo. I thought the older guys were supposed to have a harder time of it? Hope I'm not premature in expecting a successful molt, but the first two days are over.
    Sorry if I bombarded you with questions...I tend to ask a lot of details!
    I gather, Herm, you have had no problem with your Straws, having a winter climate similar to mine?
    On top of that, my lgst. E (Andre) was forced out of his - now a her - shell by next am. Introduced into new shell & iso. on Sun. Picked up to replace food dish yesterday am, and entire exo fell into my hand. HOLY HANNA! After realizing the exo was empty, looked deeper inside shell, and way inside saw what looked like sloppy scrambled eggs. With one exception...two little black spots, then a tiny flipper waving! Today those black spots are eyes with the beginnings of antannae, and the teeniest claw I have ever seen. Needless to say, munchies of ground exo are the main course, & you can hear tiny crackling.
    The Good News? I have these entire experiences on video with stereo audio.
    The Bad News...I still don't know how to d/l from my camcorder, or even connect my scanner for stills.
    I was quite amazed at how their claw (suspected straws) appeared more like lobsters (east-coaster...familiar with them!), being very nobby.
    Both appear to have adjusted quite well, in spite of one stubborn one! The four adoptees are in their glory. They've all paired up with original residents.

12. reader101

reader101 Banned

:eek:
    I must admit to having gone off-topic in this forum due to circumstances since adoption/purchase a week ago, although my questions still are open regarding species id, and appreciate any and all help. I can confirm the eyes are very red, as are the stalks, and appear to almost wrap partially around the short stalk on the "presumed dead" questionable fellow in iso, who is still shy, but usually found around water and eating well. Companion questionable is nourished and has torn up a corner of the tank as his, for about 4 days now, so not visible.
    I'd like to refer you to Molting, "Amazing Molt" for a follow-up of what's happened, and leave this forum strictly for species i.d. purposes.
    Thanks, and hope this makes it easier to follow for species & anatomy questions.
    :)

13. reader101

reader101 Banned

Can I ask how those with Straw's who live in colder seasonal climates, what if any adjustments they make for winter? (Aside from maintaining 80/80). Less daylight - do you supplement with lighting?
    I'm still fascinated with the molt sac, as that's exactly what I detected as a large purple hernia on Andrea's left side when she was naked...then took new shell and dumped entire exo only days later.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.