1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spammers, Members please read

Discussion in 'Site Questions' started by vckums, Sep 13, 2006.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Unfortunately we are getting alot of spammers signing up on the site with outrageous disgusting names. If you see one, PLEASE pm a moderator, email me, or get ahold of me on a chat program. I am working on finding a way to end this, so if anyone knows how to or has ideas please share!!
    :thanks:

2. CrabbinQueen

CrabbinQueen (Small Crab)

You could always give the captcha system a shot. Many sites use it to keep spammers from being able to register. However, the system is breakable, but it makes you look less appealing as a spammer target if they have to work at it. Here is a link to explain more about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha.

3. Matt

Matt Guest

:Rulz: I hate to say it, but it may be time to start up the little thingy (part of SMF) that makes it so you can't post until the administrator has accepted you, sure it may slow down everyone's sign up rate to anywhere from 20 minutes to a day or so (I don't see it being more then a day for an admin to hop on and allow the newly registered.) Personally I think this is the best bet for now.

4. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Vicki and were talking about that too, Matt. I honestly think that's the best way to go. So it may take a day or two to get someone approved, but I really think that's better to signing on and seeing some of the crappy threads we've been seeing.

That reminds me Vicki, the filter that you use for swear words and all; is there a way to edit that and add more to it? Sure, I've seen a lot of asterisks where the filter has caught some of it, but look through some of the threads we've moved and see what WASN'T filtered. I think perhaps we should add some extra words in there.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Yeah...Its in the admin section. banned words? Maybe..lol been awhile

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

ok I think I set it so it needs to be approved....keep fingers crossed LOL

7. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

it should be set... i had to wait for approval for a while. But just in case people still find a way, i'll keep an eye out! :shmama:

8. imported_deedeeiam

imported_deedeeiam Hi, I'm New Here!

Under the Admin section for the naughty words filter, should be an option to apply to user log-ins. There's also a few add-ons that can dropped into the code to stop that kind of stuff.

I think at one point, we were getting 300 new members a day on this one forum I ran, and I had to use both those tactics to get it under control.

9. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

300 members a day!? Thats crazy!

10. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Talk about necro bump .. lol thread was started in 2006 xD

11. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

ya, I like to read the old threads

12. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

If you don't mind my asking, could you maybe give me a few examples of the "outrageous disgusting names"? :hermzpoo:

13. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That's why they are no longer members. Because these words are not to be said on the forum. I have a feeling we're not just talking about "The awesome poop head" or something like that. There was a spammer a while ago with links to a home loan page.... No words that made any sense. That's why they ask you a question before you join to make sure you are not a robot.

14. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Okay! Thanks for the info!