1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sometimes its the small things that make you smile=)

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Bugaboo, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well I've had my first molt, and I've found that my hermies love freez dried bloodworms=) its not much but so far I'm very excited=) I've still got a few hermies down so here's hoping!
    Also any tips on how to bathe a molted crab that wants nothing to do with you?? Haha my first molter just tries to pinch and get me with the sharp legs haha. Any gloves that would work?? Haha.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I use garden gloves. The cheep ones you get at wallmart. After you get the gloves bathe the crabs in fresh dec. water (salt water might irritate if there are any weak spots that are not fully hardened.
    When you put on the gloves make sure you have a glove under the crab to support it. They get stressed when there is nothing solid under them. It might help from getting pinched. All of mine hate me and have been pinched a number of times and drew blood. So I wear gloves too.

3. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks I'll have to try that=) all I normally use are the cloth winter gloves haha

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I'll have to try that as well, mine don't like me too much, especially at bath time :think:​

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I was just wondering if it is nessasary to bathe your molter. Is another crab bothering it? If not, I wouldn't stress it out any further by bathing it. The molt is really a stressful thing for them, so if all is well, I'd leave them be. :flower:

6. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I didn't end up bathing them anyways.
    Another question, one of my small hermies has been down for a month, at what point do I start getting worried?? Because the molt I just had took a little less than a month and its slightly bigger.

7. Mckenny

I wouldn't worry just yet. Hope the following helps...

The following is a guideline and not engraved in stone.

Tiny crabs about the size of a dime will bury for about 2 weeks, many times per year.

Small crabs about the size of a quarter will bury up to a month, 3-4 times per year.

Medium crabs about the size of a golf ball will bury for 1-2 months, 1-2 times per year.

Large crabs about the size of a tennis ball will bury for 2-3 months, 1 time per year.

Jumbo crabs about the size of a baseball or larger will bury for 3 months or more, 1 time per year or year and a half.

8. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Thanks that helps a lot=)

9. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Regarding bathing after a molt,I just had a molter surface inside a plastic soda bottle(iso) and when I removed the bottle she went staight to the fresh water pool and got in and used her right outer leg to wash all her legs inside and out.I assume she was removing sand from her new exo but she could be removing the molt scent. It was the first time I had seen this done directly after a molt.

10. Mckenny

Wow...too cool. :straw:

11. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

That's really neat! My molter went through a shell change frenzy last night. She couldnt get a piece if dirt out of her original shell(I have them in EE). I sat and watched her try and get it but couldn't (so she settled for a turbo) I tried boiling it and it didn't work. Its the lightest and probably thinnest kind of shell I've got in the tank. Any ideas??
    Also if some dig down where I have all the extra shells should I be concerned about them not being able to get back up if they molt?? Cause I know I have 2 dug down in that area.

12. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

No dont worry. They just have to make a deture or come up through the shells.

13. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

thanks=) i guess i haven't really gotten used to the worrying part yet haha

14. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

oh and also I will be posting pics soon!! (i enjoy taking pictures of my hermies) so there may be a few=)

15. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

Even if your bigger took less time to molt it doesn't mean your smaller one has been molting the whole time. He could of been hanging out underground for a while before he settled down to pre-molt and such :)

16. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

Well good news! The small one came up last night and q xouple others came up from molting a day ago, so that makes 4 molts in 2 months!!=D

17. Mckenny

:spunky:

18. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

I'm soo happy!! And I still have 1 down. I'm hoping after he molts he'll change out of his painted shell, he's so stubborn though. He's my biggest medium. I know where he's buried so I try and make sure no one bothers him. Haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.