1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some hermies have adopted me

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CJ, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Hello, everyone! About 2 weeks ago I was adopted by 3 hermit crabs that were donated to my preschool classroom from a student who received them as a gift. Having never owned these sweet little creatures before, I immediately looked on the web to find any information I could about their care and soon learned that the mall kiosk had told the new owners information that was terribly incorrect. I was given 3 crabs and in the last week, sadly, have lost one of them. The crabs came home with me over my winter break and have been moved from their Kritter Karrier into a 5 gal. glass tank until I can get them a bigger tank. They have a heater, a temp and humidity gauge now reading 74 degrees and 70 percent humidity, some coconut and sand substrate, better food and water dishes, dechlorinated water for drinking and a small pool with dechlorinated saltwater, more shells for shopping, wood to climb on, and a bigger hut.
    The two crabs that are in the tank have been eating, drinking, digging a lot and spending time in their saltwater pool over the last few days. One has changed it's shell and as of last night, they are both buried. I hope this is good news and they are relaxing and destressing.
    Do I just leave them alone now? I am worried about not being able to see them under the bedding, having lost the other hermie, but don't want to bother these little guys if I shouldn't be. Any suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated! I've been reading the posts on this forum, which have been so helpful.
    Happy Holidays to everyone and I'm so glad this forum is here!! [​IMG]CJ

2. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Hi CJ,
    First, welcome here.
    I am so very glad that you have taken the time to do some research to help these poor little hermies.
    I am fairly new to being an educated hermie Mommy, so will refrain from giving any advice, leave it to the more experienced crabbie parents.
    Until, then, let them be,sounds as if they are safe and sound for now. It does seem like they are happy in their new home though, they probably have a lot of catching up to do.
    Hope someone will answer your questions soon.
    Again, thank you for saving these little ones and welcome aboard
    Sharon
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

CJ,
    Sound like you have it under control [​IMG] If they are buried, just let them be. They most likely are just destressing. I have had one come home from a pet store and immediately bury and I did not see him for another 3 weeks. The little guy molted on me. You may want to elevate your humidity just a bit, closer to 80% and keep doing what you're doing. You may be able to peek at them under the tank to see what they are up to, but refrain from digging them up since it would cause them more stress.

Keep us updated and as pblove said, Welcome! We are glad to have you join our hermie family [​IMG]

4. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

[​IMG] Hi CJ welcome aboard. I agree with Wendy it seems like everything is under control. I would raise the humidity a bit like she said. Happy crabbing.

5. CJ

Sharon, Wendy and Eric, hello! and thank you for your help! [​IMG]
    I will raise the humidity in their tank to 80 percent. Is it okay to do that by extra misting?
    Is there a better way?

Late last night, I walked by the tank and I noticed "Bob" (wearing a spongebob shell) had come out. I was so happy to see he had been eating and was out and about. He was really inspecting the shell that the other crab (who had switched to a new shell a few days ago) had left behind. I sat down in a chair and just watched Bob for about half an hour. He lifted himself out of his spongebob shell to try out the other one. How interesting to watch and see Bob try to fit into the shell just right! It seemed a bit small and after a few minutes, Bob returned to his spongebob shell and off he went to bury himself again. I went to bed and this morning saw that more of the extra shells had been moved around. Today, Bob has been buried still wearing the spongebob shell. The other hermie is still under the substrate beneath the hut, hopefully doing okay. I picked up the tank to see if I could see him near the bottom, but could only find Bob. I have been misting the tank with decholorinated water a few times a day.
    Let's see what hermie activities tonight brings!! [​IMG]
    Again, thank you so much for your help!
    [​IMG]CJ

6. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Hello, and welcome to our wonderful little hermie world.

CJ, do you have a glass or plexi glass lid on your tank? If you not you can use the press n seal it works great. Just leave about 1/4 of it uncovered. Misting the tank is fine, but try to avoid misting your hermies. You can also add sponges to your fresh water dishes, and maybe even add a cup of saltwater to your substrate. Mix it well with your hands, but avoid the areas were your hermies are burried. These will all help raise you hum.

Hope this helps and good luck...

7. CJ

Hello, Trisha! Thank you for your suggestions. They definitely help!
    I have a mesh cover on the tank with
    saran wrap covering about 75 percent
    of the mesh.
    I hadn't thought of the press'n seal.
    I'll get some tomorrow. I looked at the
    pet store for a glass cover, but they didn't
    have any for a 5 gal tank. (This tank belongs to my preschool). I know I'll need to move the hermies into a bigger tank. I have a 30 gal in my family room full of fish. I tried to tell my husband that my fish would love a 55 gal and the hermies could move to the 30...but he wasn't as excited about that prospect as I was! [​IMG] In the meantime, as I get this all worked out, I'm learning a lot about these little animals and want to do the best that I can for them in my care. They are so sweet.
    I'm so glad to have found this hermie world!
    cj

8. CJ

Tricia, so sorry I spelled your name
    incorrectly. Please excuse me. cj

9. SuperMom

No problem, I have one other suggestion. You could go to a hardware store (Home Depot) and have a piece of plexi glass cut to fit the top of your 5 gal for about the same price as the press n seal.

10. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Hi CJ! Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job. Such lucky hermies to have ended up in your classroom! [​IMG]

11. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Hi Cj, welcome to our site!
    I just love it when new crabbers do so much research so they can give their crabs a better life! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!
    Keep us updated!

12. CJ

Hello, everyone!

Thank you again for all of your help and support!

Update as of today... I peeked under the tank and I saw the buried hermie down at the bottom of the tank and it was moving it's legs. [​IMG] I haven't seen it in several days.
    I didn't disturb him, but I was so happy to see life! I've been so worried!

I used some plexi glass to cover the top of the tank by about 70 percent. I also have a sea sponge in the tank as well and I did add a cup of saltwater to the substrate, which has worked out nicely.

Today I was at my local pet store to buy supplies for my parrot and the clerk (who has been there for years and know of all my pets) saw I was buying a shell and asked why. I told her of the new hermies in my life and one is looking at changing shells, but the type he keeps trying is too small. They had one that may work better. I told her of my new hermie adventures and of the loss of one and how helpful this forum has been in learning about their care. She shared with me that she has had a few people come and tell her this week that they had lost a crab. She felt that we are all getting incorrect information on the web and should be careful with what we read-that may be why they're dying. She feels that pet stores are a much better source of information. As we talked about the hermit crabs she is selling, I gently told her to consider visiting your site and look around, that there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that have most definitely helped me save the lives of these two little hermies. They certainly would not have survived by listening to the care instructions from the mall kiosk employees. Then we talked about how I am learning about keeping the correct temp and humidity in my tank and how she keeps up the temp and humidity in her tank. (there's room for improvement) She was open to listening to what I've learned. Hopefully, she'll come take a look around here and make some changes in her pet store tank.

until next time,
    cj [​IMG]

13. SuperMom

Glad to hear all is going well, Good luck and let us know when they come up. [​IMG]

14. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Hi CJ,
    they are really fun little characters to watch aren't they?
    I find that the husbands usually don't get as excited as the woman, when it comes to buying the critters new stuff! [​IMG]
    I went from a cage, to a 3 gallon tank, to a 10 gallon tank, to a 20 gallon tank in about 5 weeks, no husband here. [​IMG]
    My two hrmies were going to be flushed, so I took them in.m Kids went to the beach, wanted the crabs, then Mom got tired of taking care of them. (not much care lviing in a "bird cage" they were!!)
    Oh, I hear the same type of stuff from the local pet store employees, watch the internet, as their crabs are half dead, no humidity, only dry food, not even crushed so the little ones can even eat it, no salt pools nor any type of pools either....

15. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Hello CJ and WELCOME aboard to our little hermie family make your self right at home here. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry this is late. [​IMG] Its very good to see you asking questions on care and all and its great you took these hermies in and have gottin info on how to properly set up and care for them. I think your doing a wonderful job and hope you enjoy your new hermies for many many yrs to come. [​IMG]

16. CJ

Hello! Hello! [​IMG] Thank you! I couldn't have done it without all of the help and advice from the people here. Everyone has been so kind and supportive. I'm definitely learning
    all about the pacing everyone talks about!
    My little hermie still hasn't come up (that
    I've seen) since Dec. 25th, but it is moving around under the substrate. Now Bob, the other hermie, is going down under as well. I posted some more questions on the General Gossip forum and am sitting tight for the moment, waiting to see what these little hermies will be up to next! [​IMG] CJ [​IMG]

17. Medley

Medley Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi there CJ!!!!
    glad you joined the HCRU group!!! I think you will really like it!!!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.