1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solved a humidity problem! Inexpensive lid!

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by YouveGotCrabs, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Ever since I got my 75 gallon I've had an awful time trying to keep the humidity within decent limits. It came with an ill-fitting screen lid, and the air conditioner in my apartment just leeches the moisture right out. I have to mist and wet the sand daily and the humidity STILL isn't anywhere near where it ought to be.

Today I measured the inner lip of the top of my crabitat (17 x 47 inches) and went down to Lowes and bought two 18 x 24 inch pieces of thin sheet acrylic (like plexiglass) They cost less than $7 apiece and one of the employees cut them down for me (cutting is free) to 17 x 23.5 so they would fit the lip of my tank. When I got home I misted the heck out of the crabitat and then put the acrylic on the top, with the screen lid over top of that. Since then the humidity has been on a steady march up towards where it ought to be. I'm going to see where it levels out, and if it gets too high, I'll take the dremel or a drill and cut some ventilation holes.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that this is a good option for an inexpensive crabitat top! Glass aquarium lids and aquarium hoods can be extremely, even prohibitively pricey, especially once you get into the bigger sizes, and it's near about impossible to find a glass top for wider tanks, but screen tops make it really hard to keep the humidity level adequate. If you want a glass top they also sell sheet glass at Lowes and will cut it to your specifications. I went with acrylic because it won't break and I'm less likely to cut the mess outta myself handling it. The price is roughly the same.

Nikki

2. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

yeah I did the same. I went to Lowes and gave them the measurements I had for my tank. The cool thing was they already had a cut piece almost my size so they just cut it a lil bit and the guy gave it to me for $2 because it was a left over piece.

I also had to go to the plumbing area to look for a piece of PVC pipe to fix a drain leak in my basement. While I was looking around I got to thinking that some of the piece might make neat like hidey holes that you could use. I wasnt sure if PVC was safe for them so I didnt grab it then. I figured I would look around on here to see if its safe.

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Cool! :D It's weird, but sometimes the humidity is too high with my mesh/ screen lid.

Is the PVC pipe metal?

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

PVC pipe is hard white plastic.

5. YouveGotCrabs

PVC should be fine, it's plastic. LOL I had the same thought at lowes! I wish PVC pipe came in clear so I could make a "crabitrail" like those Habitrail things for hamsters/gerbils. Hehehe I'm a nut. :)

6. Laughs O Lot

That would be cool! :D I thought of using that if you have more than one main tank so hermies could go in and out to other tanks and visit their friends. LOL

7. YouveGotCrabs

I used an aquarium volume calculator today and discovered that my aquarium is not a 75 gallon as advertised, it is actually an 85 gallon! :-D

Nikki

8. Laughs O Lot

Awesome! :D It happened the opposite way for me. My tank was supposed to be 35g but it turned out to be only 20g.

9. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

Thanks for sharing that Nikki! I might try the PVC pipe too. Hamster tunnel things would be cool.

I wonder if you can glue the plexi to the inside of the screen with like aquarium silicone? That would make it much easier to handle.

10. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Where do you get a aquarium volume calculator ???

11. crabalicious

12. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Hey thanks

13. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yeesh, that's cheep!!!

14. crabalicious

Thanks for this idea, it was a great solution. I made a plexi lid for my 55 gallon because of this post.
    I had an idea I wanted to add. Since my tank was kind of wide I decided to cut the lid into 2 slightly overlapping pieces that would slide back and forth. Then I added a cabinet handle to the edge of each piece. So now I don't have to lift or remove the lid. I didn't drill any air holes because I could just slide the lid over a crack to adjust air flow/humidity as needed. I am quite pleased with the turn out, and it looks nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.