1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solley's 'Official" 2010 Hermit Crab Update thread

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Solley, May 27, 2010.

1. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

actually he is very active in the day, not so much at night which is good for me because he sleeps when i sleep, no scratch noise lol

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Do you have a link for the tropical mix substrate? Does it say what it's made of? If it says anything about cypress, calci-sand, or vermiculite, it's a no-go. You should look for Eco Earth 100% coconut fiber...the crabs love it!

3. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

lol nope because i told the completely wrong name of what i was looking at in the post and really F'ed up with the choice lol.  It was Zilla Jungle Mix with fir and peat moss, real bad for hermits apparently

4. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

Hey guys, just thought i would update the crabitat.  almost done still looking to get some coconut husk eco earth for the right side of the tank and a hydrotherm eventually.  anyways its pretty much done looking forward to a jumbo!

pics:
    [img=400x300]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5181.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x300]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5182.jpg[/img]
    (^ this side will have eco earth when i can get some!)
    [img=400x300]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5184.jpg[/img]

the big pool is a salt water jacuzzi with an air pump and all that jazz lol, also has steps for easy access and exit for those real small hermits

more updates to come...

5. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

looking good!

6. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

I like your sand, it looks really comfy!  Sometimes I wish I was a hermit crab... I could really use a nice sandy beach and a jacuzzi right now!  :biglaugh:

7. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

FEEL THAT!!  :rockon: lol, oddly enough, the sand i use is quickrete play sand from Home Depot.  Ive heard about it being bad sand or having a lot of metal pieces in it that can rust, but to be honest, this stuff is great!  i have yet to find a shard of metal in it and its so fine , *knock on wood*  maybe it just depends on where it is mined, idk but they seem to like it

8. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

I have the same sand, it doesn't have the metal, but I will say your sand looks smoother than mine, maybe it is different in different states.

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

No two playsands are the same. Each bag has the potential to have been mined somewhere else, and the rocks that are crushed to make it (leaving sharp grains, which is why some crab sites have started discouraging it) aren't always 100% pure, so any impurities in those rocks or little pieces of the crushing machinery can end up in the bags.

10. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

thats the sand I have that I get at farm king, I like it cause it's whitish & I can see any "stuff" that is in there when I clean it. I don't like the reg looking playsand.

11. n00b

Wow!  I'm kinda shocked that it's Quikrete.  The Quikrete play sand that I used (briefly) looked nothing like that.  It was a much darker reddish brown color, it was a much larger grain sand, AND it was full of little unidentified metal pieces when I did the magnet test.  CRAZY.  Well I'm glad someone has had a good experience with quikrete play sand!  :happy3:

12. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi  n00b ...do you remember what kind of egg your brown dragon was?  Thanks... :flower:

13. n00b

Yup!  It was a brownish egg with blue swirls on it.  The description said "This egg displays the colors of both dawn and dusk."  Apparently it's the same egg that the Day Glory Drake comes from.

14. scoobdoo

what is all this dragon and eggs stuff? got me curious!

15. n00b

It's just a cute site for collecting dragons.  Clicks and views help your eggs hatch into hatchlings, and then to grow into dragons.  The website is:  http://dragcave.net/

Once you're all set up and have a few eggs of your own, go to these two websites:
    http://greg-kennedy.com/dragcave/index.php
    http://dragonnery.info/index.php?add=

Put your "scroll name" in, and you'll get the views your baby dragons need to hatch and grow! 
    It's fun ... and addictive. 

There's ALSO a topic here on this forum dedicated to Dragon Cave.  I think it's in the "Chatter Box" section.  It's been helpful too.

16. scoobdoo

oh boy just what I need an other site to get me addicted to! I quick cold turkey with facebook farmville & farmtown. I play pogo games mostly boggle. I will check it out later

17. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

Hey guys! haven't updated the tat thread in a while so i decided i would tonight

anyways not much has happened since my last post, crabitat wise.  The tat still looks kind of the same.  I got an extra thermometer and a night light basking bulb to keep the temps up at night.

It seems that the crabs really enjoy the light even though it gets to almost 85F and 65% humidity on that side.  they dig down a bit when they chill there so i assume that helps them to get an extra humidity boost.  every time i turn it on all my large hermits head right for the light and sit there until i turn it off the next morning  :hahahaha:

as of right now I have my original PP who seems to be doing great!!  I don't think i ever told the story about my PP so i guess i will now since im thinking of it.  He was the first hermit crab i have ever owned, also the hermit crab that had to deal with my careless mistakes raising it.  I feed him tap water constantly and the hermit pellets that i never changed, i just didn't know tap water really hurt hermit crabs, and i assumed if pellets were still there, they were still good.  Also i never kept the crabitat humid or warm.  I just didn't think i needed too......bad times.  he literally hibernated because of the lack of the right conditions. just stayed in one spot didn't eat, drink, walk around or try and hide  :crybaby2: I felt ssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad when i discovered i was basically killing him slowly. Sadly I think he was on his last leg of life when i discovered i needed to revamp my caring for these creatures ASAP. However now with the right and proper care, he is doing much better! Its been about a year for him on the road to recovery, but he is now one of my most active hermits.  His colors are bright, healthy looking, purple and he eats and drinks all the time! He is still scared out of his mind when he sees a human, but i can't blame him  :sad5: I would be too. anyways glad hes doing better and now i know.

Also I have an E that is looking strong and healthy still

Earlier this year I added 2 large straws to the mix, and man they are beautiful!  One roams around all the time but the other one has been buried for about 2 month now. I just hope everything thing is good with him! they were shipped to me, so i know stress is a big thing to overcome with that process.  I have learned when they are buried (even though it drives me insane not knowing if they are alright) to just let them be!!! so that's what im doing and are hoping for the best. He surfaced a month into his bury and soaked completely in the salt water pool for a good time, then immediately buried back  down so that was good. at least i saw him resurface a month into his bury.  so now im still just waiting.

Last week i bought 3 tiny hermit crabs.  I think they might all be E's but i think one might actually be a ruggie but not sure.  one is almost an onyx black color, another one is the regular E color (a tanish tone), and the last one is an almost blue color so idk.  anyways they were all put in the tank and within hours all buried down....

it seems all the crab i introduce to my tat immediately bury themselves! it drives me crazy but I know they do what they have too and i guess its a good sign.

Okay...sorry for the ridiculously long post, hope no one fell asleep reading it haha.  here are the pics enjoy!  Lastly i don't have any current pics of my crabs because....well... most of them are buried.  As soon as i catch them moving around i will snap some updated photos and post em.

here are some pics hope you all enjoy

[img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5282.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5281.jpg[/img]
    [img=266x400]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5286.jpg[/img]
    [img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5283.jpg[/img]
    I know u cant even see him but that's all i got for now ill try and get a better pic asap!
    [img=400x266]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/katanaweapon/Crabitat%202010/IMG_5284.jpg[/img]

thanks for reading!

18. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

:eek:mg: Nice crabitat! It is beautiful, and nice, and wonderful, and creative, and humongous, and spacious, and I'm sure your crabbies are LOVING living in it! What lucky crabs! :straw:

I was just wondering a few things:

- How many tanks do you have? Do you have an ISO (Isolation) tank?
    - How many gallons are each of your tanks?
    - How many hermit crabs do you have?
    - What do you feed them?

Also, in regards to your hermit crab's species, you stated that one of your hermit crabs was an almost blue color, this could be a blueberry! This is another species of hermit crabs, that is not as well-known as the common PP (Purple Pincher) or E (Ecuadorian). It ranges from pale blue, to a startling blue color. They are beautiful! Here is a link to a species identifier that will help you identify the species of all your hermit crabs: http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabcare/species/identifier.php It is on a reliable site/forum, that I, and many people on this forums, trust. It is called Hermit Crab Paradise.

Anywho, sorry about my long post! But I wish you good luck in your crabbing experience! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like! We're all here to help. No question is a dumb question, and we're all more than glad to answer them all! Update me on your crabbies! :straw:

19. Solley

Solley (Micro Crab)

thanks for the kind words!  I would hope they could enjoy their new crabitat, but most of em are still buried lol

-Crabs
    As for crabs I have 7:
    1 med PP
    3(possibly all tiny E's, but don't know)
    1 large E
    2 Large Straws

-Tanks
    Right now i have 2 tanks.  My main one which is 75g, and a semi ISO tank that is 20g, i have it set up as an ISO but haven't really used it to much yet

-Food
    I try to stay away from the commercial food products sold in pet stores and go a more organic route, while also trying to keep foods that are high in carotene for my straws.  every other day i re-up their food with fresh apples, slicked carrots, lettuce, and celery.  Occasionally i put in some grapes. 
    I also make sure to have a shell with these 2 food items i purchased from the crabbagepatch.com, the crabs love em!:

http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Colorado-Care-Hermit-Crab-Kibble-Large-p/ft202.htm
    http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Surf-n-Turf-Protein-Combo-Mix-p/ft010.htm

I also have a big salt water pool (big enough for the largest crabs to completely submerge) that i empty and clean once about a week and 2 smaller dishes one with fresh de-chlorinated water and the other salt water (using sea salt mix)

Thanks a lot for all the info, as soon as i get another look at all the tiny crabs ill try and use the identifier.  that would be pretty sweet to have a ruggie r a blueberry!  I will for sure keep this thread posted! I have an idea that im gonna try and bring to life in the next couple of weeks  :rubhands:

thanks!
    -solley

20. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

You have quite a set up Solley!  I love it!! 

You can also check www.thecrabroom.com for help in identifying your new guys.  This is Hermez forum.  You have probably seen her posts here too.  Anyhoo, she has great photos to help identify your crabs and if you are anything like me and still need additional help, Hermez is the Queen Crab!  :hail:  :biglaugh: