1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, who's getting ready to do a "deep clean"?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Mckenny, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:vinkko:  Me-eee!
    Well maybe......some of the crabs I thought were getting ready to molt---aren't.

Most of my hermies are PP's (purple pincher's), and they love to tunnel as well as climb.  I wish they would hurry up and make up my mind so I would know what to do.  :bat:

I've been picking up things that I need a little at a time and I've been shopping around for prices and sales.  Personally I think Petsmart is getting ridiculous with their prices, and where I live, their lack of available stock.

When calling around for bricks of EE (I need 6) and a large bag of small white aquarium gravel that I sit my food/water dishes in, I found a small, privately owned pet store that was having a sale on EE and the price of the gravel was cheaper too.

Someone had mentioned about going to Lowes and purchasing the Sphagnum Moss there in the "garden section".  WOW!  What a savings over what the Pet Store's charge for a small amount and at Walmart too for a small bag.

Sooo, if you have the time to plan ahead for your deep clean, it's worth it to call around or go out and shop around for the best price.   :cstrut2:

2. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

ME!  I've got all sorts of new stuff to put in, and I'm so excited!  I'm doing it this afternoon (hopefully). 
    Happy deep cleanin'!  :CrabbinQueen:

3. Mckenny

Good luck with your decorating.  It's exciting to change around the tank, and the hermies like it too.  :straw:

Post a picture if you can---we'd love to see your newly cleaned and decorated 'tat!  :flower:

4. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Hi Jellybean, what does sphagnum moss look like?  Is it like the moss hanging in trees (where I live in NC & SC).  Or do you know?

Hope your hermies enjoy cleaned tank. I know you will, I always do.  Thanks  Debbie
                                      :amie3:

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Debbie - the moss you're talking about is called "Spanish moss" and is not crab safe (or people safe really). If you take it from the trees, there is a good chance that it will give you lice (they live in it). Even if you get past that hurdle, it survives by leaching calcium and other nutrients from the air...not good if your crabs bury in it (it'll leach calcium from them).

Sphagnum moss grows in bogs in places like Scotland.

6. DEBBIE

Hi emmac350. Boy do I feel dumb. Thanks for the info.

Debbie

:eek:mg:

7. Mckenny

[​IMG]

This is a Bog in Canada.   A Bog is a wetland area, having a Peat Substrate that is very acidic, and is called a Peat Bog.  The top few inches of the live Sphagnum Moss are removed before harvesting the PEAT from the lower levels of the bog.  The Peat is used by gardeners to acidify the soil for plants that like that sort of soil.

Sphagnum Peat Moss is the dead and decaying sphagnum plant. It is not renewable and is normally cut from the earth. Large sphagnum peat harvesting areas are in Michigan and Canada. Long fibered sphagnum plants are destroyed before or during the peat harvest process. Peat moss can be any type of decayed plant life, not just sphagnum.

Sphagnum Moss is used in the floral industry to line wire baskets and make wreaths, by Reptile and Hermit Crab hobbyist's, etc.  It is the LIVING moss that grows on top of a sphagnum bog.  It can be so thick that a moose can walk on it and not sink down.

Sphagnum moss grows mainly in Canada, US in Wisconsin, New Zealand, Japan and China. In North America at one time the sphagnum plant covered most of the northern hemisphere, but was killed as glaciers scraped deep into the earth as it moved south.

Long fibered Sphagnum Moss is the tan/brown-colored perennial plant that still exists today in the US in harvest-able quantities only in the central counties of Wisconsin (Jackson and Monroe counties). It takes 5-10 years to grow back depending on the severity of the winters and the length of time that the plant is under water during the summer growing season.

A lot of the Bogs have been destroyed by harvesters over in Europe, and the Government has stepped in to try to save the remaining ones.

Just remember, the acid in the PEAT MOSS can eat away at crabs' exos, so don't use it.

8. Mckenny

By the way Debbie...there are NO DUMB questions.  It's through asking questions, researching, and listening to others with experience that we learn.

Shaw...we'll have you "whipped into shape" in no time!  :hahahaha:  :hilarious:

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

(By the way, Jellybean, I definitely felt like I was at storytime while reading that post. I mean, it had a picture, colorful words, etc. :) My books don't have that anymore. )

10. DEBBIE

Wonderful article Jellybean.  Did you write all that just for lil ole me?! 

In all sincerity, I really appreciate the time and trouble you went to to educate all of us.

(Got up thru the night and marley was peeking out of his shell. It's the first sighting!!!!! [Whew])  Coconut has also settled down since finding a shell she liked (I suppose).

:cheer:

Thanks again, Debbie

11. Mckenny

:hahahaha:  Hey Emma...I had to do something to keep everyone's attention while they read the Novelette!

I thought I'd add to your informative post.  Geez...no sitting under those trees for me---I'm itching just thinking about it.

...and Debbie, Of course it was all for "your eyes only".   :biglaugh:

Just a tidbit...some of those bogs over in England, Scotland, and thereabouts were so old, that when they dug down deep to remove the Peat Moss, they  found dino bones, partial skeletons of early man, and relics dating back thousands of years.

Sigh...sorry to bore everyone...I just find it incredible.  

12. imported_Eric

imported_Eric (Small Crab)

Jellybean we appreciate all the effort!

I assure you it's not a bore, at least not to me anyway!

13. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I buy spagnum at Home Depot. It smells really nice and I've never found any debris or anything. I got a square foot or so for $3.

14. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Jellybean, thats amazing! Dinosaur bones?