1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So here I was. . .

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by Mallie, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Standing at our local Petco. I have read all the aweful stories and experiences others have had with this chain, but this store seemed treat their crabbies well. Good humidity and temp, both salt and fresh water. Their substrate wasnt very deep, but other then that, not too shabby.

Today my boyfriend and I went to go check some out, maybe pick up a few friends for our crabbies. There was a worker talking to a women with her young daughter about hermies. This women had kept her hermie in a plastic container with gravel. She was explaining how this crabbie recently passed. . .

"I just don't understand! My husband just watered him the other day and then we found him out of his shell all dried up" The furry inside me started to build.

The worker told her flat out that her set up was the worst possible situation for them. (Score 1 for petco) She went on about molting (which she was totally wrong about) and then she opened the cage of hermit crabs and started digging around for them. And BOY OH BOY did she dig. She was tossing them all over the place, just throwing them around! They were totally frantic. I saw one that was totally missing his PP, and saw another one dead in the substrate (which she quickly tried to hide).

The little girl talked about how she got pinched once, and the worker said she got pinched the other day. . . (yeah, big surprise there)!
    I would have loved to save a few tonight, but they seemed very hostile and I don't have a good ISO for him to be set up in atm.

Anyway, I thought I would add my own experience with Petco. I must say though, out of all the stores that sell hermit crabs - Petco is the closest to getting it right - too bad they are still so far off!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Some petcos hit it on the head--really depends on the manager- sending a letter with a proper care sheet might help. SOme miss the mark by miles. I would say out of all the stores that they come closest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.