1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smell

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Kriston, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kriston

Kriston Hi, I'm New Here!

Hermione has dug under as of today. After reading the posts, I understand that if she passes, I will smell a bad "fishy" smell. My question is, Is there a telltale molting smell?
    Thank you,
    Kriston

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Many people report smelling a chemical smell-almost like iodine when their crabs are molting. I have smelled this chemical smell many times and personally feel that it is very distinctive from the death smell (which is more like that of rotting fish).

Keep in mind though, that buried crabs can pass and there may not be a seriously foul smell until you unearth them. I have had a few die that were buried and they did not smell strongly until I dug them up and they fell out of their shell. I want to point out that the only reason I have dug up the crabs in question is because I keep careful records of how long each has been buried and knew that s/he had been under too long based on previous data either about that particular crab or a crab of the same size. A lot of it, believe it or not, is my own intuition. I have only unearthed one crab on accident while looking for another that I knew had died. I think that is pretty good considering I have had close to 50 molts by now.

3. Kriston

Thank you for the information, Wendy. As it turns out, I feel confident that Hermione is molting but poor Spongebob died yesterday. (Actually he died over the weekend, but we didn't know for sure, so we left him alone until we smelled that unbelievable smell yesterday.) The kids were so upset that daddy (he's a softie) took them to the pet store and bought 4 more crabs. These new ones are so different than the ones that we got at the booth in the mall. They look different and have natural shells. They are extremely tiny, also. One of them drank, ate, drank, ate and then buried himself and that was it, we havn't seen him in over 24 hours, do you think that he's settled in for a molt? Another one grabbed onto the log that we put into her tank and won't let go for anything. The funny thing is that daddy didn't care for them... until he took the kids to the pet store... now daddy is the one who wants to go buy more crabs! LOL

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

LOL! How funny that Daddy is the crab purchaser!

I have had a new crab come home and bury immediately and turn up nicely molted 2-4 weeks later (depending on the size). I think sometimes they are just so in need of the proper conditions for a molt. S/he may also be burying to destress and adjust to the new surroundings.

5. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

With the really small ones I have, They have all but one dug under as soon as I got them, but reappeared within 3 days usually. Two of them have recently went under and have been under for just under a week now. I cant say I've smelled anything at all though. Kriston, do your crabs have plenty of hiding spots? That helps them get over being new easier. A really cheap one that I use is a plastic strawberry basket, washed well, with chunks of moss weaved and stuffed into the openings. I just cut a well sized doorway into the side and set it in there. That might not work for larger crabs though, all I have are small ones.

6. Kriston

That sounds like a good idea, what kind of moss do you use and where do you buy it?
    Also, I need to add that my crabs are very happy with the childrens play sand, it is alot like white beach sand! It's much more economical than that other sand I was using too!

7. B

B Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Kriston,
    I just logged on to post that same question! How funny is that. I have my first molter, under for 2 weeks now, and I smell that tank like 10 times a day with no idea what I am smelling for, untill now, lol.

I like the strawberry basket idea, I think that I might try that. I use a coconut and my crabs love it. They hide in it, climb on it, rub against it, it's the most popular spot in the crabitat. I bought a whole coconut from the grocery store for only a dollar or two. After much struggle I got it split in half and cleaned all of the meat out of it, boiled it in some salt water and presto, instant hut. I did try to cut a door in it, but those things are rock solid. I just wedged the end with the holes about a quarter of the way into the sand. I used the other side of the shell as a bath for them which also helped with humidity because it absorbs some of the water and stays wet. Coconut doesn't keep long in the fridge, but for a few days they also had a special treat! [​IMG]

8. froggz37

I use ESU all natural Terrarium Moss. I bought the smaller size bag (4 quart) about four months ago and have only used about half of it. I got mine at petco, but there are other brands out there, and most pet stores carry some type of moss. On the bag is the website esuweb.com .
    I also use playsand in my tank. I got it out of the kids sandbox, strained it so its fine grain, and then baked it. Lol I cant help being cheap. I have alot of "home made" stuff in my tank. I used Hungry man tv dinner dishes for my salt water, and I have natural aquarium gravel in the bottom of it for looks and so the little ones have something to climb out on. I'm also going to be chopping some apple tree branches off of my neighbors tree for them to climb on. Now I just have to wait for my crabs to come back up so I can switch everything else over into the new tank lol.
    I like the coconut idea too. That sounds like a job for a really big hammer. How did you break yours open B?

9. Kriston

B,
    That is so ironic! I'm glad that you did because it confirms for me that it is a good question! I'm afraid that I'll bug these nice people to death with all of my questions. By the way, you guys here at HCRU are very patient and tolerant of newbie's like myself with endless questions. I've seen other boards that I wouldn't post on in fear of what the replies might bring!!! Thanks for being there for me and newbies like me!

10. Kriston

Thanks for the info, I am going to try making the strawberry hut for sure! Well, my new tiny guys have come back up after 3 days and we are all having a blast watching them play and interact!!! I love my little bitty guys! They are so fun and inquisitive. Update: Hermione (my original crab)is still dug under. I have her isolated in her original tank, since Spongebob died, I just cleared him and most of the toys out, laid down some food and water just incase and we have left her alone. She has come up once for a drink, but no food, and then right back under she went. The new tiny crabs that daddy took the kids to the pet store to buy this week, wound up getting their own 10 gal tank, which I am glad of so I can enjoy them and not worry about them disturbing Hermione. I'd hate to wake up after a really long nap to see that some stranger had moved into my house, wouldn't you?! That is kind of how I felt about dropping new crabs into Hermione's house! BTW, Our new guys love peanut butter and honey. They are so cute!

11. froggz37

I personally like the smaller ones myself. I've had a few of the larger ones that have passed, but I havent lost one of my really small ones yet.

12. crab*grrl

crab*grrl Hi, I'm New Here!

I've heard there is a chemical-y smell but so far I've not been able to smell it, even when Gary molted topside. My ISO has two molters in it but I can't smell a thing in it.

13. B

B Hi, I'm New Here!

Sorry it took so long to reply Froggz, I have been offline. When you buy a coconut from the grocery store it is already scored around the middle, but it is still REALLY hard to get open. I used a screwdriver and hammer to poke out one of the holes and drain the juice, then I just kept sawing (ginsu knife) and chisling with the screwdriver untill it opened. Sure would have been easier with a real saw!

Nubs is still under, its been almost 5 weeks now. I am getting nervouse, I don't notice any movement at all. He had one short walking leg when I got him, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that he is simply growing a new leg and everything is ok in there.

Don't worry Kriston, you wouldn't believe the silly questions that I ask, and everyone is always so helpfull and patient with me. I love it here. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.