1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smell???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Lorrielee, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorrielee

Lorrielee Hi, I'm New Here!

Our hermie is molting for the last 2 weeks. His exo is completely off for about a week now. There is a faint smell in the tank. He is tiny. How long do I tell my girls he's still molting before I "call it".

2. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Hi, I'm New Here!

Well molting has a smell of Iodine. Does it smell like that? Because that's fine. If it is a fishy smell, there could be a problem. Also, are you sure it just started smelling, cuase crab tanks do have an odd smell.

3. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

How is it that you can see the crab? Is this a surface molt? Two weeks if not a long time to complete a molt. What is it that you smell? The death smell is very fishy smelling. If you're not smelling that I'd give it more time. If the crab is on the surface place the top part of a two liter soda bottle on top of him to protect him from other crabs. He needs to eat his exo before he is through withhis molt. Give me an update on the situation soon, please.

4. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Hi, I'm New Here!

Is it an iodine smell? Molts smell like that. Fishy smell, is known as the "death smell" Also, 2 weeks is short, so if its not the fishy smell, I wouldn't worry. keep us posted!

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Yes, 2 weeks is not a long time at all for a molt. As Nancy said, the death smell is really bad and you would know it, although, it won't permeate through the sand if he is under. Also, some people, such as myself, have reported a "chemical" smell during molts. Could that be what you are smelling?

6. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

Just leave the crabbie alone unless you smell a strong fishy smell you will know because it just reaks. Ive noticed when my crabs molt more of a sweet smell like butterscotch or on occasion almost an iodine smell.

7. Lorrielee

Update

Still the same with our little guy. Its been 2 full weeks. He molted on the surface since he is alone in his carrier. I can't remember what iodine smells like. Like I said its very faint and nut pungant at all. My seven year old wants to take her to school for ALL ABOUT ME week in March, but I told her we would have to see. Do they always fall out of their shell when they die? He is still in there pretty good.

Thanks for all the input!

8. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

They don't necessarily fall out of their shells. It depends. I wouldn't take a molting crab anywhere with me especially if he's surface molting. It might would cause him stress. Especially if anyone started fooling with him. :p Does that help? Hope so. I hope he lives.:D

9. msdiamonddawg

If I can throw my two cents in here, just my opinion, but I don't think I would be allowing the crab out of the house and especially to a school, with lots of kids ... the stress! And what happens with the temperature and humidity??

When you say that he is alone in his "carrier", what do you have him in ... like a plastic Kritter Keeper type thing? Those are fine for the short-term, but do not house crabs comfortably for the long term. He doesn't have any "buddies"? How long have you had him? Is the substrate deep enough for him to bury and does he have all the other necessities like temp/humidity gauges, water/salt water pools? Sorry for the questions, it's just that usually crabs don't surface molt so I'm just trying to get a sense of what's happening.

10. Lorrielee

Update...

Nothing has changed. He's been molting for over 3 weeks now. No change in smell. Still just a very faint fishy smell but nothing pungent yet. We decided to just take a picture of him and show the classmates our hermie. I did pick him up because he surfaced molt. He isn't moving nor has he fallen out of his shell. His exo is completely off and laying in the cypress. His claw is still a dark red color. Only a faint smell if I sniff his shell, but I can't smell anything just taking the lid off and sniffing.

11. justine

justine "Never Molted"

Are you sure that cypress is okay for the substrate? I would be worried about chemicals. I use play sand from Home Depot, about three bucks for 50 pounds. I have had five molts in playsand, and the have all been fine.

12. Hermie's rule

I wouldn't use any kinds of wood chips because wood dries out hermit crab gills thereby suffocating them.

13. msdiamonddawg

Wood itself will not dry out their gills. I have been using wood logs since I got my crabbies back in August 06.

I have heard of people using cypress, not as a substitute, but as an added feature. As a matter of fact, someone posted here a while ago. I am going to add some myself after I do my next major cleaning. Just read this thread for more info ... hopefully it works!

http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum/molting/1197-wow-its-like-new-tv-show.html

14. Hermie's rule

Well, don't give them logs like pine and resinous logs. is what I meant to say. I wouldn't use all cypres bedding cause they can't dig in it to molt. Just use as an added feature in one small area of the tank. okay? Hope it helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.