1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Pet Store

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by tiphany, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiphany

tiphany Hi, I'm New Here!

I went to a pet store semi-close to where I live here in Minnesota and all the animals seemed properly cared for except the hermit crab(s)! I was so upset. First off, I know that wire cages are not acceptable living enviroments for hermit crabs. They are worse than the KKs! There was only 1 PP in the cage though and it had one dish which was dry both days I went there. I had shells in there, but not any that would fit it. Since it was a wire cage, of course there wasn't enough substrate for burrowing. I was upset. I bought him out of pity. He isn't active like my other hermies and is actually pretty aggressive. Poor guy. I wish I knew what to do better for him, or if there was anything I could do even.

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

There's a store not far from where I live that is just like the one you described. Most of the animals were in great shape. Everyone had food and water and shelter and things to climb on/hide under. The hermit crabs, however, were in poor conditions. 50% humidity, no water, crammed cage, no extra shells. I tried to talk to one of the employees and explain that they're tropical creatures and need moist air. Then he comes up with some crap that some of them are from Africa so they're used to dry air...and all this other stuff happened and I'm not even going to bother going over it.
    The point is, too many people are ignorant about the care of hermies, and it's incredibly frustrating and unfair to the poor hermies.

If you give your new hermie plenty of protein (fish, crushed nuts, shrimp, etc), it might help him calm down. Just give him a while to settle into his new home, and hopefully he'll come around within the next few weeks.

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Stores like that are actually good candidates for reform. The fact that they take care of the other animals means that they are probably trying to do the right thing, but may be mis-informed. The suppliers they buy the hermit crabs from often are the sources of this bad information, in my experience.

If you can return to the store with a caresheet and links to good online information sources, they may well be willing to listen. Talk to the store owner if you can. When I've always done this, I've tried to be as non-judgemental as possible. I can understand trusting the supplier's care info, though I also think that in this day and age, there's no excuse for looking a little harder than that for good care info when it's readily available on the Internet. If you're lucky, you'll find that the store owner is frustrated with the number of deaths in the crab tank and is willing to hear about how to make things better. Once a store owner let me set up the tank with supplies off the store shelves, and for a few months that store maintained an excellent setup. (But then the store was sold for some reaon ... now the care for ALL the animals is appalling, and I don't go there anymore.) But I guess my point is to give it a a try ... can't hurt, and it might make a big difference.

4. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Sigh...if only this would work. I have taken in caresheets, items you need to start, you name it...right down to taking them 20 lbs. of my own premixed, moistened sub., home food, sea sponges (they had a scotch pad scrap, not even in water), picked out the corpses, sick shells; and the same thing happened when ownership changed. As for the suppliers, they couldn't even tell the species..duh!
    Just my thoughts, but store owners do not want to provide the necessary substrate, so that crabs will be forced to stay on surface rather than follow instinct to burrow. And when disturbed, will react due to hunger, thirst, stress - great! Active! They want immediate, mass impulse sales. The "easy" pet...Until some of us get hooked enough to know the difference, and care.
    Actually, the only reason I buy my hermies where I do, is because I order them (can't control species, but can take what I want without all), and am advised right to the hour when they arrive, and are immediately put into MY sub. with MY food and water dishes until I pick them up, which may be the same day! The 5-day warranty doesn't hurt, either. Basically it makes them liable for the first few days.
    I only wish other crabbers had the same opportunity that I have created by demand to add to their colonies by choice as opposed to "pity purchases" (I have several very happy examples!) I only wish I had the answer, but I definately agree information to the public is the first step. Hermit crabs are not disposable pets. The pet stores may be too dumb to care, but the informed purchaser can be too smart to support.
    Just my thoughts.
    hermom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.