1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slaters

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Enj, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

Hey guys, I read on another forum/site somewhere about having slater bugs in the tank to eat any decaying food the crabs may of buried in the substrate. I have put about 15 in, and was wondering if anyone had any slaters in their tank or were they useless?

If you don't know what bug i am talking about, see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I've heard of that idea before, but I personally think it's a waste of time. I don't think those small bugs would make a big impact on cleaning the tank, and nobody (that I know of) who tried this turned up with much results, and they drown in the water dishes. I've never tried it, that's just what I think. You could try it and update if you see any positive results.

3. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

I've never acctually heard of the idea, but it sounds like all that does is lets loose bugs in the cage. But hey, I woul ask someone who acctually KNOWS,
    I'm just giving my opinion.

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Well the "pill bugs" are crustaceans just like your crabs so they can live well together, I have read about many people doing this without a problem except, the conditions we keep our crabs are perfect breeding grounds for them and sometimes they overpopulate quickly. But to answer your question yes alot of people have had success with them eating the crab poop and dropped food to help keep the tank fresher.
    There was a member on Hermit Crabs R us that did it if he comes over to addiction he will probably tell you more than I can.

5. Enj

Enj "Never Molted"

Well i had about ten in there, but i haven;t seen them for weeks! i don;t know where they have gone...

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

If they're still alive, they're probably under stuff like they are in the wild. You know, under rocks, food/water bowls, hideys, etc.

7. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

okay so they ARE woodlouses! (i though i was going CRAZY 'cause everyone has different names for them!) :sign10: Anyway, i've heard it can be done, never tried it, but it doesn't seem that harmful. The worst thing that could happen is they overpopulate and you have to remove some. Since as long as they're alive they have to eat, i think their effectiveness depends on the amount of woodlouses versus the size of the tank and amount of crabs.

If you need more, just look under the decoration stones at my house! lol XD (i think they're kinds cute... i might put a few in before winter hits. I used to find 'em all the time =]) :spunky:

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

They probably work great, but I just can't have bugs in my house :no:

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'm with you, Vicki. I've had two times now where outdoor cockroaches (they're the small red kind) got into the tank. It was only one cockroach each time, but it freaked me out! Luckily, patience won out and a month later I was cockroach free. No bugs for me, please!

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Emma I gave in to stick bugs few summers ago. The kids would hold them, I'd be a spaz. My youngest knocked their tank over, it shattered, and the bugs are walking around the room!!! I made my kid get the bugs and put them in another tank. After that, NO MORE BUGS! I tried...

11. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I have about 20 in my 10 gallon. You should put in a maple tree leaf in case they run out of other stuff. The hermits can eat the maple leaf too

12. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

When my dad was a kid he and his friend found praying mantis nests and put them in their sock draws. Fortunately, his friend's hatched first but there were about 500 baby mantises in his friend's sock drawer. My dad got his out and threw it in the yard before it hatched. And then I heard about a college roomate who order 300 crickets for his lizard and the other college room mate accidentally opened it.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.