1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrimp shells?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by victoria, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

should I use shrimp shells for crab food?

2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I would only use boiled shrimp that has not been seasoned. It is a great source of calcium, but I wouldn't use it alone as food. Just as a supplement. Usually the peel and eat shrimp you get off the buffet is unseasoned.

3. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

mmm...shrimp yum.When I eat shrimp I don't season it.

4. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

Frozen bagged human grade shrimp has been salted, or at least those stocked near me have been so make sure to rinse thoroughly. I thaw and offer mine raw with the exo peeled back a bit and they eat both the meat and the peel. You can drizzle with salt water, steam or simmer lightly. Peels (and krill too) are also great as an exo replacement when a molter's shed exo gets swiped by another.

5. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Unforunately, my little ones turn up their tiny little noses at both shrimp, raw or cooked and the peel.

6. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Shrimp-dried baby shrimp-is the one thing that my babies come running for. They actually get into fights sometimes over who gets the dish first!! I have to put a few different dishes of shrimp in when I feed it to 'em!!

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I buy the dried baby shrimp in the fish food section and my crabs love them:)

8. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

My crabs aren't very interested in shrimp either, Hildegarde. Well, I gave my hermies dead ghost shrimps that have recently died in my fish tank. They kinda just let it sit there and smell up the whole hermit crab tank. I opened my tank today and found this AWFUL smell of dead fish. I freaked out, thinking it was a hermie, then I realized it was the shrimp. Such a small thing wreaked the whole tank. I ended up having to open the lid for 15 minutes just to clear out the smell.
    Worst of all, they didn't even touch it! It made my tank smell bad and my crabs got nothing out of it. I give up on shrimp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.