1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Showing Dominance?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by thetruechina, Apr 25, 2011.

1. thetruechina

thetruechina (Small Crab)

Is it normal for a crab to show dominance toward other crabs I'm just sitting in front of the tank and big literally kicked super off the soap dish. My question is I'm thinking about getting another one just one alittle smaller than super and big my concern is will he be like any crab I put in the tank.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hes just showing super whos boss. Having another crab would be nice for them. Dont worry about their size. Most of the time they just spar with crabs close to their own size.

3. thetruechina

Thanks trixie ok I thought that was the case but with how big they r could I possibly get two more or just stick to the one I still got the 10g that's what my concern is.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have a crab that does it all the time! I think it's funny to see him do this, one will try and come up on the cave and the other will sashay on over to him and boot his little booty off the cave and turn around  like he is saying here, take that!

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

How many are in your tank now, how big are your crabs, how cluttered is your ground level, and do you have a second story.
    These are things to be considered, especially with a 10 gallon where so much of the space is taken up with water dishes, food dishes etc.

Let us know and we'll try and give you an answer as to what's best.  :flower:

6. thetruechina

I only have two and both of them are on the medium/large but not jumbo size I've got 2nd levels so there is plenty room on the ground for them to move around. I was thinking of getting just one a small one cause I know if it was a large one it would be too cramped. one side of there tank is there water and he other is made up so they can hide. I'm still trying to decide what size tank to get when we get out of this hotel. But I wouldnt think getting anymore than one would be a good idea. 

7. Mckenny

I would think two smalls, (and they should be smalls) would be acceptable if you are planning on getting a bigger tank in the next couple of months.
    Having two smalls would be company for each other versus the one small possibly being intimidated by the larger ones.

There are those that may disagree with me on this, so by all means, voice your opinion on what you think.  Let's get some "Food For Thought" going and share our ideas.  :cheer:

8. thetruechina

thanks jelly I thinking about dime size would be ok I just wasn't sure on how many and diffinately any opinions would be appreciated. Now if I could decide on what size and what kind of tank to up grade to I only want to have to up grade once. So all any advice would help.

9. Bugaboo

Bugaboo (Small Crab)

well I went from a 20L with 10tiny/small hermies, and upgraded to a 40g. I only want to upgrade once too, so I got a much bigger one. don't know if that helps at all, but I hope it does.

10. Mckenny

In my opinion, you should upgrade to a size of tank that you can afford and have room for without it being in the way or in a less than Ideal spot.
    I was fortunate to start off with a 55 gallon tank that my son had.  But-------I then upgraded to a 75 gallon, which I love.  It's the same size as the 55 only it's 18 inches wide instead of 12 inches.  Believe me, the extra width is so much nicer to work with, and it's 21 inches tall so it's still easy to get in from the top.

There's so much more you can do with a larger tank, and if you come across a Hermie in your travels that you want, then you have plenty of room to add it.
    I got mine off of Craigs List for $75, and it's in wonderful shape.  I answered three ads before I found this one, which didn't have any blemishes, the glass is clear and the trim looks almost new.

I mention this because Don't take the first one you come across unless it's in good shape.  I traveled as much as two hours one way only to discover it wasn't as advertised.  So, I said no thanks and came back home.
    Believe me, there are good ones out there, and considering you will be looking at the tank a lot, don't settle for something crappy...because you
    won't enjoy it as much and will regret not waiting for a better one.  :flower: