1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should she be isolated?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by dancinhermielover, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

I just got a new PP yesterday from PetSmart. I don't have an isolation tank as I have never isolated one of my crabs before. Despite never isolating them, they have never gotten sick and I have always chosen the most active crab in the tank. Should I isolate her? She doesn't seem to act sick and is very active. :)

2. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

I haven't isolated any of my hermit crabs before I put them in the main tank, and have never had a problem, but most people say you should iso them just to be on the safe side. When I get some more hermit crabs I'm going to iso them just in case. Plus if you iso them they can go ahead and destress if they need to or even molt. I would iso her though. Hopefully someone else will help with more info.

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

YES 100% they should be isolated - they may be carrying mites and other viruses that can kill your maintained colony off- ISO should be a 2 week minimum--unless you see tons of great behaviour in the first week (good appetite--shell changes--active--and came up bug free in the 2x salt bath)--then you can think about it. Many people take risks---some have deeply regreted this--ISO is a pain but its safer

4. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

I never ISO mine when they first come home.

5. reader101

reader101 Banned

Mine don't go anywhere until they are bathed, assessed for missing limbs, signs of stress, illness, & appetite. They may then (if several) be sorted into main tank, healthy; into 10 gal. iso if missing a limb; or into a separate iso if really questionable.
    It helps to give the crabs all a communal bath, so that when they go back into a refreshed tank, they all smell the same and will be busy investigating rather than establishing "turf".
    :)

6. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I havent isolated my crabs but I guess it is up to you. If you feel like your new crab may need to molt or w/e iso it. if not just do a through check for mites or fungus and set free in the main tank. good luck with your newbie

7. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I don't ISO, but I also check my crabs before buying. I'll put them in my hand and check for friendliness and activity. If they come out to say hi and wander around, I count legs and claws. I go for personality. I have occaionally lost one or 2. This year I've lost a total of 5, one I bought simply so he could die in a nice home, he was very stressed and I knew he wouldn't make it. The rest, either post purchase stress or a bad molt. My other guys, Big Boy included (I have had him 2 yrs and he is HUGE!) are doing great and love to show the newbies around.

8. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

I didn't ISO her and she is doing fine and is very active. I have had her for about 3 weeks. She was actually the first one to climb up to my second level! I have gotten two more that I didn't ISO because I checked them for missing limbs, friendliness, and illness. They passed all tests and are also active. One even changed shells. :)

9. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Recently I bought a crab from Petco. I put him in the main tank after giving him a bath and within a few days he passed. I got a replacement, a much more lively crab, but he passed too. He seemed very healthy. I got a replacement for him and put him in a ten gallon tank with ecoearth. So far, so good. That was a month ago. I think I will iso all my new crabs because the crab isn't going to tell me if anything is wrong, and I might miss it. I don't think I can go wrong doing this. Good luck, Nancy

10. reader101

reader101 Banned

I'd like to clarify that many of my hermies are unseen prior to arrival, and thus all get the once-over before determing which tank to go in to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.