1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I dig him up?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Krabs, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

Hi,
    I've had my 2 crabs for 10 months now. They were pretty active up until about 4 months ago, when I cleaned out their tank for the 2rd time. Once I placed them back in they buried themselves immediately, and didn't resurface for a month or so. I assumed they were molting, but since then I've only seen the larger crab 3 or 4 times. I've been waiting for them both to be out at the same time so I can clean the tank but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon and the tank is a complete mess. I'm pretty sure he isn't molting, can I just dig him up?
    Thanks!

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Can you see from the bottom? I tell people to cut around the "molter" if possible, if you dig up have an ISO prepared -

3. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

I would do the best you can for cleaning without actually having to take them out of the cage, they're most likely molting

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Yeah, if you really need to clean the tank, I suppose it's all right to dig them up. . . As long as you have an ISO tank ready to put your two hermies into. . .

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Do a surface clean (i.e. scoop out the poo and other nasty stuff you can see on top). You really don't need to do a full deep clean too often - the most often you would have to do it would be 6 months. I've had my crabs for a year next week and have only done two deep cleans (one of which was after I put the crabs in the new tank) and honestly am not sure when I will get to do another one - I always have someone down molting. It is way better to wait until you're sure they aren't molting because some crabs will dig down and wait for a few weeks before they molt, so just because they've all been down for X amount of time doesn't mean that they're all at a safe stage of post-molt. Does that make sense?

My advice is to wait, and if you have an ISO available, ISO them as they come up until the tank is empty and you can clean it.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

6 months is an opinion - you cant give advice like that- it always depends on how many crabs you have in what kind of tank- how well does the person clean the tank daily etc.....................

If I had to wait til every crab was up guess what my tank would never be cleaned. I do it every 4 months and inevitably I am digging someone up - if u have an ISO then you are prepared.

7. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

will they not eat during a molt or destressing?

8. emmac350

Definitely no while molting. They're too soft to come back up for a while (otherwise, they will get pieces of substrate embedded in their new exos) and they have to eat their exo first. That will keep them going during a molt.

As for destressing, it depends on the crab. Some crabs come up at night, others don't. Some crabs dig down while destressing, others stay in a hidey. It's crab dependent. If they want to dig down, don't disturb them. Don't handle them during the destress period and they will get through it much faster.

9. Hermies4Ever

Hello, Krabs. . . You didn't dig him out, right???

10. Dillon

Dillon Hi, I'm New Here!

mkay thanks! i just dont want him to starve to death or something ._.

11. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

Thanks for the advice everyone!

No, I didn't yet, but I'm still debating on it. I was planning on it soon until I realized that the moss I bought was poisonous (I submitted a new thread about it but was never approved?) So once I order the new moss I probably will if he hasn't come up by then. I've only seen him a couple times since June and I recently found mold in my tank. There was a period of time a few weeks ago when ALL the food would go missing nightly, and I'm a little concerned there might be more somewhere underground from them dragging it off. Do they ever store food somewhere else? Neither ever! come up to eat now, even though the smaller one is always bumping around under the substrate.
    I'm actually starting to think he's dead.. but I'm sure there would be a smell by now :(

12. Hermies4Ever

Yeah. . . Hermit crabs love to drag their food off and bury it in the substrate. . . That could be what caused the mold. . . but if your substrate is too wet, that can also cause mold or mildew. . . Mold won't grow as fast if you let the air to run freely into your tank, instead of closing it up, binding substrate and wetness together. . .

13. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

You were supposed to say, "Totally not possible!" lol. I really hope not though, the idea completely freaks me out :eek:

14. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

THey store up water and stuff so you shouldn't have to worry about them starving...

15. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

I dug him up last night. I was worried that it would stress him out but instead he's barely even been back in the hidey :)

16. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

How long was he down? Does it look like he molted? His legs will be hairy and have black pointy tips

17. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

He was down for around 4 months. I had only seen him 3 or 4 times since June. He's freshly molted, though.

18. emmac350

Check if there's an exo down there so you can give it to him. He may not want it, but you can crush it up and use it as a calcium supplement in their food. Also, offer as much calcium, chitin, and protein as you can - the easiest way is to offer dried and fresh shrimp, bugs, ocean 'bugs' (krill, plankton, etc.) to help him harden and grow.

19. Krabs

Krabs "Never Molted"

Thanks for the advice. I made sure there wasn't one before I completely removed him. I think maybe the reason he wasn't coming up was because it was so cold in there. I was having a hard time keeping the temperature up from the ground being so saturated from summer, so deep cleaning it really helped. This was my first molt for both of them so I'm glad it went well :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.