1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I be worried if my crabs have been burried for 6+months?

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by yayforalexis, Feb 7, 2011.

1. yayforalexis

yayforalexis Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello,
    A while back I got a new larger tank and as each crab from the smaller tank finished molting and came up, I transfered them to the larger tank.
    It has been way more than 6 months since I have seen the last of the crabs. There are 3-4 crabs left (i cant remember) in the smaller tank (20long) and I still havent seen any come up. One came up about 2 weeks ago and I transfered him over, but from what I can recall he was the very last one to go under about 4 months ago and the others have been under longer.
    When my mom had 2 crabs in her 10g, one crab never came up and then we smelled a very LIGHT fishy smell. Since the other crab was up, I dug under and found the hermit crab dead in its shell completely burried.

Could this be the case with my last crabs? I dont smell anything unusual though besides sand that needs to badly be changed.. I am worried. It has been so long now.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

How many crabs did you have in a 20gal? Maybe it got over crouded down there. I dont know. If it really has been over six month and the crabs are not large (med to small) if it was me I would be VERY, very carefully digging them up. I mean 6 months really! I wouldnt wait forever.If they did molt they should be recovered by now.  But dont take my word for it. I'm not telling you what to do. Use your own judgment.

3. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

If at all possible I would look under the tank and all sides of the glass to see if you see any molting crabs. I usually see mine on the bottom.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

maybe you  need to ask one of the experts like jelly bean & personal message her and see what she says. 6 months is a really long time, I know they say big ones can take up to a yr.2 of mine are  golf ball size or bigger and it took 2 of them a little over 2 months and it drove me batty! If they are down deep they can decompose and may not smell if they are small crabs. hope things are o.k.

5. yayforalexis

The tank got a little crowded when I got a little crazy with the crabs (there was 9-10 in the 20long) which is why I got a larger one, but definately NOT EXTREMELY crowded. There was definately enough space for the crabs to share because there 5 of them already surfaced so there was more than enough room for the rest to molt. I got my new tank really quickly since most of them were surfaced and I didn't want to have to wait for them to molt again.
    From what I can remember, there is one crab the size of a dime, one a little smaller than a quarter, and one the size of maybe a pingpong ball, I think there might be one more left, but I am not sure, but I know from their sizes, there is enough room for all of them. I've had a few people lift it so I can see around it, but there isn't any that I can really see. I think I can see a shell, but maybe its a mushroom because that sand has been in there a long time now at least 8months since they have been in there for 6months.
    Im worried about digging them up because I have disturbed a molter once before and he ended up dying : (

6. yayforalexis

I have a sad idea as to why they haven't come up.. maybe I accidentally killed them : ( because about 3.5 months ago I moved... Maybe during the move I made their tunnels cave in ?  :sad5:
    Should I dig them up?

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I would.  If they are alive and look well (not pastey, milky, or a pastel color) If they have hair and are moving good. Bring them up and move them to the new tank. Remove the sand very carefully. Very little at a time. Only with a small spoon. It is a very delicate process. And might take an hour or two. If you find one that is alive but looks like it just molted you have to have a small hermie hut to put over it for its air pocket. Leave the crab in the same place as he was and cover the hut with sand.
    If they are alive only handle them for very few seconds.

8. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

scoobdoo, what am I ....chopped liver?  I feel so left out.    :crybaby2:    :scream:
    Crabs do get very stressed when you move their tank. So they might be destressing and molting at the same time?

9. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

[quote author=trixie link=topic=7461.msg58981#msg58981 date=1297189809]
    scoobdoo, what am I ....chopped liver?  I feel so left out.    :crybaby2:    :scream:
    Crabs do get very stressed when you move their tank. So they might be destressing and molting at the same time?
    This is why I like EE better than sand. It is so much more lighter then sand. If an air pocket does colapse theres a less chance of it smashing the crab. There is also air in the EE. Sand has none

10. scoobdoo

hello all crabby people: not meaning to make any one feel like chopped liver or left out! Just suggesting at times when there are questions that can't be really answered by some of us or suggestion don't  help cause we don't understand fully the problem or put someone at ease then maybe they should consult  an administrator that maybe has had more experience.  Wasn't trying to say hey these people don't know squat, don't listen to them! Next time I will just keep my mouth  :zipit:, sorry!!

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

You should be able to say anything u want. I didnt take it personally and I was not efended. So you dont have to apologize.
    I know they know more than I do.And she should get more advice on that touchy subject. Not just poor little me. Luv ya

12. scoobdoo

:flower: