1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherbert Molted Again!!! :D

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by Laughs O Lot, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Sherby came up today!!!! :D I was getting so worried, because she was digging for so long, and I was going to make a thread about it. But today, she was up, freshly molted!! :D And she regrew the leg she lost in the previous molt! I'm so proud of her! She's very pale and seems soft. She's staying in the cocohut with her own food dish with honey, a carrot, and food from the hermit crab addiction store. Great job, Sherby!:)

2. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

oh, congrats! =D that's great that she did so well!!! I like she likes her treat from the HCAd, too! =]

3. Laughs O Lot

Thanks! :) Yeah, she's been eating the whole day hardening up! My hermies love the HCAd!

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

i can't wait to get stuff from there! maybe i would see my hermies actually eat, lol!

5. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

Can they have regular store bought honey?

6. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

It has to be organic but most markets sell it in the organic or whole foods section
    Unless you have someone close by like I do that has hives and fresh honey

7. Laughs O Lot

My friends dad is a beekeeper, so he gave out honey samples at a Girl Scout meeting. :) Today I used a different one, 100% Pure honey. Is that okay, or does it have to be organic?

8. Donny (TMNT)

Donny (TMNT) (Large Crab)

The lable on my honey bottle says that its "natural" but does that mean it's organic? :confused: It also says its "pure".
    Shelle could use a pick-me-up, if you know what i mean. :D
    If crabs get suger highs, then she sure will if I give her a taste of this!
    Just the though is cute.

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yum.... straight from the honeycomb to you...can't get any better than that. :D

Simply put, Organic means without preservatives. Unless it states that it is organic, honey in stores go through a high heat process to make them thinner so they can be processed through tubes at the factory thereby making it easier to flow through. Honey right from the honeycomb is thick and not as see-through or clear as the average store bought honey.

The processed honey that is in the store can also be a mix of different sources of honey, often times resulting in an inferior product.
    Vckum's store (hermitcrabaddiction) has smaller packets of honey if you just want a smaller quantity for your hermies. Unless you eat honey, a jar will last a veeeeeerrrry long time. :D

10. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

No, it would say "organic" somewhere on the label. Such a designation is usually easy to find - as it adds to the purchase price. Unfortunately the "organic" designation for honey in the US is challenging to pin down, and almost impossible to satisfy. In fact some of the most vocal "organic" beekeepers still argue vehemently about what the term actually measn in beekeeping terms. In most cases organic honey you will find will be from Canada and may not actually meet our USDA definition, but I would use it, the stuff is generally very good and very safe.

Pure honey can be produced, legally, while still using pesticides and antibiotics in the hive. Of course there are strict rules about the use, and the levels of these materials fodun in honey are generally low to undetectable if used per lable instructions. Fact is though that generally no one tests for pesticides and antibiotics in honey unless there is some reason to do so.

I would find a local beekeeper and ask them specifically what they do for foul brood, mites and hive beetles and the answer should give you an idea about their proclivity to use "chemicals".

I know people are going to get a little upset with this - but as a pure source of energy, table sugar is more "organic" in the sense of purity that may other sugar sources. Granted there are issues with the way cane and sugar beets are grown and such, but table sugar is remarkably pure. Make up a thick sugar syrup and let it cool, use it in a pinch.

Hit the internet to find your local beekeeping association, there is usually one or two people there who exchew all treatments and produce a very clean product. It might cost more because it can be harder to keep colonies alive, and as productive unless they are really on the ball, but since some of the more common hive treatments are pesticides to kill arthropods, I wouldn't feed it to my crabs.

See if there is anyone running top bar hives, these folks tend to keep things simple - the harvested product is comb honey. Cut off a chunk and let the crabs tear into it. You can also freeze combs of pollen and brood and just cut a little off and offer it to the crabs for some variety,

Oh - one last thing, look for spun honey or creamed honey, this is just honey that has been allowed to crystalize under very specific temperature constraints and with a fine "seed" crystal to use as a template (these crystals are form previous batches of cremed honey, nothing artificial) and is smooth and spreadible. The crabs may have an easier time using this.

I have my own bees - so I know exactly what is in their honey, and pollen. Oh - and it is mighty tasty stuff. The bees are really cool too - if you like a tank full of crabs, try a box full of bees!

Keith

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.