1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shells.

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Jarrod Walls, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarrod Walls

Jarrod Walls (Micro Crab)

Okay, I've read around on the site trying to get some answers to some things and just to learn new stuff and I've came across something that I need answered. I think I read somewhere that you should never give a painted shell or item in the tank with the crabs? Is this because they will eat it?.. (the paint)

Hogan was brought home to me on the 30th of last month and just know that I was not ready for him nor did I know I was getting him and that's why I'm unprepared. If I had known I was getting one (and that I would later grow THIS fond of the creatures) I would have done research ahead of time.

I was bought some shells too, here's pics.

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/300/004nd7.jpg
    http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7602/005th8.jpg

They're not allowed to use these?

2. jeswwjd23

jeswwjd23 (Small Crab)

yes the painted shells are bad for them. the paint is toxic and would chip off they would eat itand could die.
    so you should go to Michaels or A.C. Moore and get a bag of natural shells. look at the bags and mainly look for Turbo's, looks like hogan is PP. and PP's love Turbo's(round opening) anyway, michaels has bags of shells for 2.99-6.99 and in each bag you can ge tons of shells that are useful for hermit crabs. i get all my shells from michaels and can find atleast 10-20 useful shells in each bag. along with some throw-aways. anyway, hope that helps

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

you can boil those panted shells and peel the paint off with a platic knife or butter knife.

4. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

5. HermitPaws

6. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Some people get on my NERVES. NOt you Jarrod Walls. Just some other people. Yes I have to agree with THEM the paint is toxic. The shells look nice though.

7. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

Crabbybeach, if you were refering to jes or anyone that posted in this topic such as Hermitpaws or keri about getting on your nerves, Then I would have to say you are quite the idiot.

Everyone that posted on this topic provides information and insight to this forum, Where as you provide obvious rebuttle answers and immature caps lock responses stateing how "bugged" you are about someone telling you that you are wrong.

Perhaps their intellect and knowledge about crabs gets on your nerves and the fact that you would even come out and say that anyone "Gets on your nerves" is just childish.

I for one am glad to have so many good natured and intelligent people on this forum who I can interact with and have a conversation with and not just get a response of "why don't you do what you feel is best" or "oh mine does that". The post you made above minus the initial insult was perhaps the most well thought out and developed post I have ever seen you do on this forum since I started here.

Anyway, I would suggest you try not to insult other people on this forum since you seem to really bring nothing to the table with any of your posts or replies from what I have read while browsing through all posts by you via your profile.

Anyway I don't wish to be mean but I just found it funny that the pot was calling the kettle black in this one about anyone getting on your nerves.

Kyxoan

8. HermitPaws

thank you Kyxoan

9. Kyxoan

Lets see how long it takes for a Mod to delete another one of my posts to crabbybeaches. I did one about a month ago and it was deleted almost instantly and NOTHING was bad. I just think someone needs to call him out on what he does. He obviously just wants to build his post count and provide no real help to anyone.

I also just PMed Jason to see if that will do anything because none of the mods seem to want to take action against him. He insults everyone, He breached the contract by being under the age limit listed in the TOS This is his own admitance of it.

"Hi I can adopt up to five hermit crabs. Since I have mine in a twentynine gallon tank with branches to make it look like a tropical beach. Also I am only twelve and I can take exellent care of th hermit crabs. Also I can't pay shipping and handeling. So if and of you have a hermit crab you no longer want then private message me. Also just because I am twelve don't mean I can't take care of an animal."

He regularly spams and provides no insight at all. So hopefully a mod will tell him to stop posting rubbish or perhaps they will execute their right to take action on his account since he blatently violated the TOS that he agreed to.

Kyxoan

10. Jarrod Walls

^ No offense to you but posts like this give guests and newcomers (like myself) a bad outlook on the forum. The thread you posted should have been sent to the person through a PM. Private and the boards still look good. Thanks for the help though guys.

11. Crabbybeach

You know:mad: I was not Reffering to them. I know they were just trying to help. Why does everyone think I am an Idiot here?:mad:[​IMG] Also I don't CARE OR GIVE A **** ABOUT MY POST COUNT

12. Kyxoan

Jarrod, I did PM him as well as others but he openly insulted one of 3 (not sure who) people who I respect on this forum on this thread so I felt it was necessary to bring it out.

If you want to see what I was talking about though, Read "all posts by this user" under his profile and you will see why a lot of people (more than just me) are angry but choose to not express it.

In fact, If you do read some of the posts you will see people go off on him for the ignorance that he presents sometimes.

I don't think it will turn people away from the forum though (what i'm doing) But if I was browsing and happened to catch his post first I might be turned away thinking that spamming emoticons was tollerated on this forum.

Luckily I researched most of this forum for a good 2 months before I registered or even bought hermit crabs so I knew what a great bunch of people we have.

13. Jarrod Walls

Trust me, I've been on forums since 2002.

I know what turns people away from forums. lol.

I'm not saying that that's what you're doing or anything, and I don't want to be bothered with digging up dirt on someone. That's not a good way to get to know him or judge him. I just thought I'd let you know that even though his ranting takes an effect on the forum, so does the open posts about him as well.

But hey.. sorry for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

14. Kyxoan

It's okay man I see your point, I guess I was hoping that because this is inside a thread and not a thread directly about him like calling him out that it was somehow less dramatic.

15. keris hermies

Yes thank you kyxoan.Crabbybeach what did I do to get on your nerves?What did hermitpaws do?This is ridilious (sorry Can't spell)People get on here to talk about shells (on this thread) Not people fighting,calling names,and singling people out.It's wrong & uncalled for.I do agree with Jarrod Walls what if someone was looking @ hermitcrabsrus.com & were viewing this thread what would they think?Oh there not talking about shells or hermit crabs there FIGHTING!I'm truely sorry if I ofend any of you.Guys just stop.Crabbybeach I know how you feel.Kyxoan would you like it if Crabbybeach set there & wrote what you wrote?Trust me you would'nt like it.That's were you got to stop & think a minute.Hopefully this will touch some people & you will all stop. :)

16. Kyxoan

I would love for him to write a long educated post about me honestly, It would be the first post with depth that i've ever seen him write ever. However, it would most likely be "kyxoan is bad" and that is all. But i already sent PMs to Jason about him so i'll see where that goes.

17. Crabbybeach

I was not talking about you all I was talking about my sister and cousin they were agrevating me.

18. keris hermies

I know.Let's all forget about it.Talk about SHELLS!That's what the thread is.

19. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Seriously, everyone needs to RELAX!!! This is a forum to talk about HERMIT CRABS!!!! You know, those cute little creatures we all love!!! There's NO REASON to jump all over a child for what he/she posts in here about hermit crabs...if you don't like it, disregard it!!!!! We happen to love a creature that is often owned by children; so, we should expect children to be interested in this forum. So, let's all RELAX!!!!!

20. Kyxoan

Yes, it is very easy to just disregard it and whatnot but the fact of the matter is, is there is a TOS that everyone agrees to when you register here.

He has breached it in more than 1 way and the mods appear to be aware of it from what I have been told. Only time will tell what will stem from this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.