1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shells

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Crabbylassie, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Crabbylassie

Crabbylassie Hi, I'm New Here!

:cringle: I have 5 hermies from 1 1/2 inches down. I have quite a selection of shells in various sizes and shapes, any suggestions on how to keep a selection for the various crabbies without taking up all the space in the tank. I have a 10 gallon tank for now and hope to find a larger one in the near future.  :dontknow:

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Have you considered a second level? Some members use baskets as a shell shop.

3. Crabbylassie

Haven't tried one yet...not sure how to do it and wonder :think: if the Hermies would find them up there. Any advice or ideas on how to do it and what works well for them to climb up there. I've only had mine since Jan. of this year, 3 have molted and all have changed shells so I think they're happy :hermez2:, I'm still learning though. Thanks for your help. :rockz:

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hermit crabs love to climb, so not only will you free up space on the ground level, you'll keep your shells cleaner and provide exercise and more space for the Hermie's.
    Some of mine sleep with the shells then come down when they want food, most especially at night.

Corner shower caddies found in the bath sections of Walmart, Target, Lowe's, etc. are great along with shallow baskets and various other things.  You'll have to provide a sturdy way for them to get up and down.  I use choya (cholla) wood (dried cactus-tannish color with small holes in it) and have used sturdy vines and plants also.

Take a look at some of the pictures and you can get some idea's from other member's setups.
    Happy Crabbin'.  :straw:

5. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

you can use fish tank decorations  that look dead logs walmart has some  about 8$ they stand up right, I have that by my shower caddy and the crabs climb it to get in and out. I also have grape vine branch that goes up to it and it has a natural hook to it and the end of it I stuck in a small plastic cup and shoved it in the sand and stuck marbles around it to stablelize it, then stuck rocks around it, this gives them 2 ways down.
    the branch stuck in the cup keeps the dampness off it and the end doesn't mold

6. Crabbylassie

Thanks for the ideas...my new 29 gallon tank has helped alot. I'm planning on getting some hemp twine in the near future and crochet a "hammock" with a ladder.  :clever66: :clever66: