1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shells

Discussion in 'Shells' started by Mariah, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

does any one know where to buy a big bulk of a Varity of shells off line??

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Have you tried 'The Hermit Crab Patch' ?

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You might check out Walmart or Michaels (the craft store).  :flower:

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I spent over 70$ on shells from pet shops that my crabs would try on and ditch in 5 minutes, what a waste of money! I finally asked what typed to get for them and some one told me they love natural turbo or turbo and with my crabs being bigger everytime I went into a pet store and asked if they had shells they would say yes and give me a box full of little tiny shells, big huge shells, or all the wrong shells. I went to the crab patch web site asked if they could do money orders and they do now and got my crabs all natural turbo shells and they all changed with in 10 minutes never changed back into the old shells they had. I would rather pay a little of nothing for a shell and the shipping & handling and get a shell I can use vs paying for a bag of shells and have tons of them laying around that I won't use.  Plus the crab patch is a one stop shop get some food and other supplies to. it's an another addiction in itself!

5. eljhdl

eljhdl "First Molt, A Success"

:hahahaha: Hi I'm "eljhdl" and I'm a shell shopping addict. hehehehehehe

Yes the shell shopping is nearly as addicting as owning the crabs in the first place.  I'm so bad with it that I ask all my friends what they need and shop for them too!!!! Pitiful am I...

So needless to say, I agree with Scoobydoo. As I got to know my crabs and began to see patterns of what type of shells each crab preferred, picking out shells became easier.  I hand pick each one for each crab and I have to say, my track record is pretty good (now that is....spent a ton on the wrong shells at first too).

Anyhooooooo, bulk shells online - check Naples.  There is a link to the store on this site.

6. Mariah

Mariah "Preparing For First Molt"

Do you need to prepare your shells like have water in them or just put them in the tank?

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have read some have boiled them and cooled them, I just rinsed mine out really well with the salted treated waters.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I rinse my shells once every two weeks in a small bucket of Marine salt water.
    I put them in there to soak and loosen any debris while I'm tidying up the tank.
    When finished swishing and rinsing the shell in the warm salt water, I pour the water out but a small amount remains, which I leave in there.  Some like it that way, and the ones that don't can shake it out.  :flower:

Some have said that the hermies like the shell better rinsed in Marine salt water versus just regular dechlorinated water.

9. profed

profed "Never Molted"

I'm glad I saw this post because I have been wondering about my shells.  I got mine from either Naples or another site recommended by crabbers on this forum (I can't remember what it was...it has been awhile).  However, my crabs still aren't changing shells.  I got a variety of sizes and shapes.  Is it bad that they aren't changing shells?  They don't surface much either, so maybe they just don't know about them???

10. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine dont change shells very often. But when they do they always change to a much bigger shell. Although I do have a crab (dutch) who has been in its shell for 1 1/2 years. He is to big for his shell but he likes it. He will always try out another shell but always switches back to the little one. It is not uncommon for them. When they are ready they will switch.