1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shell too small. Shall I be worrying?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by j'field, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j'field

j'field Hi, I'm New Here!

Yup, one of my ruggies seems too big for the shell it's in. I mean the shell seems too small for it. And it can't hid in the shell completely.

Should I be worrying? I have more than enough extra shells in my tank. But why it doesn't wanna change into a bigger shell?

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

How long has it been in that shell?
    When he comes out of the shell like when you pick him up, is there room around his abdomen and shell? Can he reach out like the crab in my avatar is doing?
    Chances are, he's fine Are you offering a variety of shells as well as sizes? Did you boil the shells you have in salt water?
    I had a crab move in to a shell that was WAY too small for him but he stayed in it for like 2 weeks and then decided enough was enough and move out.
    I'm pretty sure your guy will be just fine.

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I would not worry, just make sure you have many options and try to get a couple big versions that are the same type as the one he has now.

4. j'field

j'field Hi, I'm New Here!

Yes, I had him for about 2 weeks. His abdomen is in the shell as normal. Just that when he is hiding in the shell, I think almost all the legs are outside of the shell.

And yes, I have wash all my shells in saltwater before putting in my tank. The size are mostly just slightly bigger than the shell that he have now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.