1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shell changing

Discussion in 'Shells' started by shortcrab71, Aug 22, 2009.

1. shortcrab71

shortcrab71 "Never Molted"

As you know I am new to all of this.  I have 3 crabs all have purple pinchers.  I live in Myrtle Beach and went to a shell store and bought each crab 3 new shells. Put them in the habitat thinking they would change shells.  Not a single one of them has done so.  Is there something I am doing wrong.  Please let me know.  I am starting to get worried.

Thank you,
    Renee  :hermzpoo:

2. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Did you boil the shells before putting them in the tank?
    Even if you did and they don't change shells, maybe the crabs are simply happy with the shell they're in. If they are happy there is no reason to change shells. I have some VERY picky crabs that I had for almost a year now and have never changed shells, and others that change once or twice a month (wich is pretty often for me).

3. shortcrab71

I did boil the shells before I put them in the tank.  Thank you for the information. 
    I guess it's like having a child for the first time.  You are going to worry about them.
    Renee  :hermzpoo:

4. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Are you offering a variety of shell openings and sizes? I think you have PPs, and PPs usually go for turbos with their round openings, but not all do. I have one PP in a D shaped shell (a nutmeg shell), two PPs in Murexes, and one PP in a turbo. All of my Es are in turbos...and they're supposed to prefer D shaped shells! Silly crabs...sometimes you don't know why they aren't changing, so don't fret it. Keep re-boiling the shells every month or so and switch up the offered shells as often as you are able so they keep finding different shells to look at. I had my first two crabs for two months before they changed shells. It's not your fault they aren't changing!

5. shortcrab71

Thank You for the information....I just thought I had done something wrong.
    They act happy.  Digging deep holes and very active at night.

6. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

I don't think you are doing anything wrong either. Just remember a range of shells that are not painted and make them relitavely sized. Brightly coloured natural shells seem to be a favourite in crabs in lab studies (i don't know where the heck i got that from!). I find my crabs are very picky too about shells. I also find they leap from small shells to giant ones!   :dontknow:

7. wadester

wadester "First Molt In Progress"

When i say this i am not refering to painted shells, but my crabs all love seashells with a pearly inside. I would suggest offering several different sized shells also.( size meaning shell openings ) Also different types openings can make a huge difference. I have spent over $100 on shells this year, and only a few have switched shells. Most have shell shopped is what i call it. They try one on and then go back to the one they were in. I have only witnessed 3 crabs change shells out of 21. About 7 have changed shells total. Beware, if you have large or jumbo crabs, the shells get very expensive. ( $10-$25 apiece! ) I like to swap out 2-3 shells every couple weeks. But i just rotate about 6 large to jumbo's shells. I am in need of buying some more myself. I just hate spending $50 or more to find out they dont like it. They average about $15 apiece for my jumbo who needs a 2" or bigger opening.

8. shortcrab71

Wadester,
      If you are interested I will see how much a shell with the opening of 2" or bigger cost at my shell store.  I get all my shells there.  If you would like I need to go there this weekend and get some shells myself.  I can see if she has any and take pics and post them for you.  I have to do it quick because she will be closing at the end of the month.

9. emmac350

If it has any non-rough turbos (i.e. jade turbos, Tapestry, African, pearl ones, etc.) in an opening size from about .5"-1.5" (I have several PPs in that size range), I would TOTALLY be interested (even though I'm not wadester). Let me know - I will send you a check, haha.

p.s. - wadester, there are a few 2" turbos at the Florida Sea Shells site that are $12.50 each. Just wanted to pass it along.

10. shortcrab71

I will go tomorrow and find out if she has any.  I will take pics to post and the prices.

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

If you are looking for shells have you tried the Hermit Crab Patch web? Thats where I get mine.

12. emmac350

I have looked there and at the Naples Sea Shell place and at several other online stores...I'm not a big fan of buying each shell individually online (prices are higher, plus shipping costs are higher) or buying a pack of shells that I don't know exactly what shells are in it (type and size). I've done one trade (through another site) to get a bunch of bigger rough turbos, but not too many of my big guys have stayed in them (I have one at the moment, even though two others could fit them). So I'm thinking if I get some thinner shells, maybe I'll have some luck. This is all stemming from when I adopted two who were described as being small crabs but they turned out to be closer to medium sized and I had a good supply of tiny and small crab shells, but not as good of a selection of small-medium shells.

13. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Go to www.hermitcrabpatch.com. It is not the same as the naples sea shell web. They have many shells and all shells come in different sizes.

14. emmac350

trixie - I have looked at the hermit crab patch site (I thought I said so in my post) but in general I'm looking for shells that she rarely has in stock in the sizes I need them in.