1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shell Change

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by OneOnion, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Deadly changed shells! I saw his empty previous shell in the shell pit today. I can't find him anywhere now, so he probably went under right after he changed. I can't wait to see the shell he chose (or even see him. I haven't seen him in months!). That's three out of 5 of my hermit crabs that changed shells(and they're the ones that aren't ecuadorians :p those E's really are picky). It's getting annoying that they never come up. I haven't seen buster in 4-5 months, haven't seen Deadly in 4-5 months, I've seen Baby once every few weeks, same with Clinger, but Storm is the only one who's actually been walking around a lot. I don't know why they're so inactive. I'm doing everything right...

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

What is your tank temp and humidity? have you calibrated your humidity gauge?
    Some crabs are like that, we sold our old TV the other day and when the guy came to pick it up and saw the crab tank he said "You have a tank of empty shells" I'm like yea buddy that is EXACTLY what we have...idiot.

3. OneOnion

My humidity gauge is a piece of crap, lol, ever since it fell in the water dish the readings have been all off, like 85+. I'm pretty sure my humidity is fine, though, I spray it most every day. ANyway, I think you're right, and my hermit crabs are just like that. I wanna get 2 more maybe, one small and 1 medium to large.

4. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

you should get a new humidity gauge to be safe =]. Sometimes hermies really are just like that. Although, i'm surprised that my shyest is now one of the most energetic after molting. Are you sure your hermies that have been gone for months are still alive? that's a long time to be missing =/

5. OneOnion

Actually, I think after the water in the gauge dried away(I stopped using it for a while, just put it in right now) I think it's reading fine! It said my humidity is 85%, and a few weeks ago when it broke, it kept on reading 95+. And when I found it outside the tank, it was reading 62, which is normal humidity for a house, right? So I think the humidity gauge is fine.

Yes, hermit crabs' personalities do change after molts. Usually right after a molt they become extra protective and pinchy. I think that's because their exo isn't hard yet and they're more vulnerable to predators.

I don't worry that much. I usually see evidence that they're surfacing at night, for example Deadly's empty shell I found in the shell pit. And as for Buster, she was showing molting symptoms when I moved her into the 20 gallon 3.5-4 months ago. Oh yeah, I remember seeing her one other time about 2 months ago, and I picked her up and surprisingly she didn't pinch me, and I figured out she was a girl.

Anyway I see Storm heading for the food dish right now, I just changed the food. Bye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.