1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She is DEAD! :(

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by HERMEZ, Nov 27, 2006.

1. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I smelled the death smell this AM so since I am off I decided to do a deep clean----I had a few down and some I had not seen for awhile--not sure what to expect or rather who to expect

Anyway I found my Tiny Tim--shell appeared to be empty--it was way too big on him so I realllly tried to look good--found some exo--kept looking no body anywhere--ok so why would I be smelling something--

anyway preceeded to continue on with the deep clean put the "empty" shell on the table for like 1.5 hours........I am on the phone arguing with someone so I was a tad absent minded. I got a bowl to swish the shells out - forgot to put dechlor in *smacks self* I rinse all the shells and put them back--

then I said to myself swish out that shell - I did--still puzzled as to why I did not find a body I decided to leave the shell in the water and went on my way- figuring if he was  in there he would pop out!

I was not ready for what popped out-- A LEGLESS VERY PINK TINY TIM--as soon as he saw me he very very quickly went all the way back in the shell. I quick took him out immediately cause he was in the "bad" water for awhile!!!!!!!!!

I then shaking rushed around like an idiot and made him honey--cuttlebone--and spirulina powder combo..he ate like a mad crab!

Here are some shots--while I know this situation can turn around for the better I am reluctant to get my hopes up--I dont know how much damage I did--or how long he has been that way

How often should I hand feed- 2x? and the same for offering water?

Please some of the pics are bad--I did the best I could- I was the one shaking!
    [img=300x233]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswonder027.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x229]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswonder040.jpg[/img]
    [img=276x300]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswonder041.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have NO IDEA why I smelled the death smell--maybe the powers above needed me to find him.
    Pray some prayers for the little guy- I got alot of work ahead of me to rehab him

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Re: UNBELIEVABLE--WHY ME??????

What happens if I do ok by him and he gets gel limbs- how will he molt-- a surface molt???????? HELP

3. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Oh Herm, I'm crying here.  Oh my god, I can't believe this.  I have no idea how often you'd have to offer food and water.  I don't know what I'd do if I had something like that happen.

I'll be crossing anything I can cross for good luck and I'll say prayers too.  Good luck with him.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thanks Chris- I am a bit in shock myself--this totally SUCKS!!!!!!  :tear:

5. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

This was him before [img=300x239]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/Herm-EZ/mykarises003.jpg[/img] :fingerscrossed: come on Tim you can do it!!!!

6. CrabbyChris22

It would HAVE to be a surface molt.  I mean, how are you going to know it's time for him to molt?  He can't dig to signal that.  Besides, you wouldn't be able to dig a hole for him and seal it like they do and still have him be able to breathe nor would you be able to help him with anything.  My guess would be that it SHOULD be a surface molt.

Sue had given me some advice about I think it was adoptees.  They had been kept in really bad conditions; not enough humidity or high enough temps.  It was about keeping them in iso to get their temps and humidity back up to needed levels but doing it slowly over a couple of weeks' time.  She then suggested having a low level of sand, not enough for them to dig in to actually force a surface molt.  Oh, this also had to do with their food and water not being good either.  Anyway, the jist is that because the situation had been so bad for them in the past that they had low energy reserves and that surface molting would actually be less invasicve on their system than digging down to molt.  The digging would just tax their energy even further.  Maybe you could go with that theory; provide a shelter so he isn't out in the light and so exposed (cocohut or something over him) but easily accessible for you to get to him quickly, but otherwise let him surface molt.  That way he can just store up the energy he needs and not have to worry about digging (he can't obvioulsy).  It's really going to be impossible for you to know when he's ready to molt so perhaps just giving him a covering and shelter he can just do his thing when he's ready.  I just pray that the gel limbs grow fast and he can do it.

7. CrabbyChris22

If anyone can help this little guy out Herm, it's you.  You and Vicki have the most dedication of anyone here I know.

8. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Oh Herm, I am so sorry  :tear:

I wish I knew what to say to help you out.... but I haven't a clue.   I, like Chrisp, will cross all I can and add a few prayers to help both him and you out.    :fingerscrossed:

Good Luck!

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh look at his face :tear: Im so sorry Herm...Cmon Tim you can do it!!!!!

As for food and water if you can place him in ISO by himself, even in a KK, inside the main tank and then put him right ontop of food so he just has to reach his head out to eat. Offer water that way when you can as well.

10. CrabbyChris22

I know, he has such a sweet little face.  That's a good idea about putting him in a KK inside the main tank.  One of these days I will remember that, like when I need to iso one of mine.  I don't know why, I just can't remember that.

11. kathleen

kathleen Guest

Oh man, those pictures.....  I am just going to keep seeing his little face.  I dont know what else you can do.  Just keep him in iso, and make sure he gets to the food and water a couple times a day.  I am glad you found him.  I hope gel limbs start showing up real soon.

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thanks ladies- I just offered him a drink and it seems he is cleaning out his shell........his whole face is going in the water--at  first I thought he was commiting suicide but he can bounce right back in the shell- I took pics too-I just changed his toilet water--offered fresh with a spritz of salt- will feed shortly- seems to want to do things on his own--what a guy!!!!

13. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I do have him in a KK but I am not putting him in the tank--no room plus they already attacked him so........I dont want him stressed- his conditions are good and he has a log to rest under

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

OK I think we have a method he and I--I prop him so he can get to the food/water (alternating turns) and he can do what he wants-- I leave him be--he has had water--more honey mixture and is now sitting in baby food  veggies--it takes a long time but if he can keep up- he will be ok I think.
    more pics
    [img=257x300]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswater008.jpg[/img]
    [img=300x266]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswater003.jpg[/img]
    [img=283x300]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/vicfish/1leglesswater004.jpg[/img]

15. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

OK, I think I can help or at least share my experience. This is happening to me right now, almost the same situation. My small ruggie, Elan, molted and was attacked. I found him exactly like your Tim, except he still had one leg on the left side. I totally freaked! He was barely able to walk, actually no walking just wobbling and tipping over.

I took him out and put him in a KK that was filled with EE, and covered him with a coco hut. I didn't iso him in the reg iso unit because other crabs were already in there and I feared a fatal attack on him. I hand fed honey, boost and cuttlebone mix 2x a day along with a dip in water 2x a day, both salt and fresh. I also offered mashed fruit, banana, apple and grape mixed with a heavy dose of cuttlebone and Epicurean cuisine. This mixture was offered in a shell dish, which I found him sitting on top of face down almost every night. I tried not to handle him too much, only twice a day for watering and feeding. It must've been very stressful for him not having his claws for protection.

I continued doing this for about two weeks when I noticed his little molt sac on his abdomen began to enlarge. Right now, he has dug under the EE, very shallow. I assume he is molting, I haven't smelled anything yet and hope I don't.

I guess Tim will probably surface molt sooner than later. Other than that, it sounds like you got it covered. These things happen to the best of us. I will definitely say a prayer for Tim. He looks eager to feed, which is a great sign!  :pinkr2:

Keep us posted on his progress.

16. veltish

veltish Guest

OH MY GOD! thats horrible. im sorry that happened to you.. and more so..sorry it happened to tim. he's got the "thank god you found me!" look in his eyes.. its so sadening. :tear:

just good thing you know what your doing and it looks liek you actually might be able to save him! its amazing!!! :Good-Luck:

17. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Oh HermChickie!!!!  I can't stop thinking about Tim!  (Silly, I know, thinking about a little crab that I don't even know!)  But I feel like I DO know him!  I have seen the pics you have posted of him & stuff!

If he pulls through this, you will be know as the miracle worker, for sure.  One thing is for certain.....he truly seems to have the will to live!  HANG IN THERE, TIM!!!!

18. Re: UNBELIEVABLE--WHY ME??????

HERMIE!!!  OMG!  What you must be going through!  You poor crabby momma!  ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Sending all the good vibes I can and you can do this!  Look how strong he is!

What a little trooper!

Maybe you smelled the "death" smell because his legs were decomp???

Just a guess.

Hang in there!

19. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Thanks all- I will have to post more pics so we all can learn here. He does have the will.........which is encouraging  :pinkhat:

20. CrabbyChris22

I'm with Kathy, I thought about Tim off and on all night last night and as soon as I could this morning got on to check his progress.  I wasn't kidding yesterday when I said I cried; in fact, every single time I think about that poor little guy I get tears in my eyes.  It's really the saddest thing I've ever seen.

Speaking of sad and crabs like this, Jillian (hermiesrokmysox) hasn't given us an update on her little guy that had some problems that were similiar.  Didn't she have a guy that only had one leg or something?  Yeah, here is the thread she wrote: http://hermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=1930.0.  Jillian?  How is your little one doing?  Did he molt yet?