1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up iso

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by cursedkid, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cursedkid

cursedkid (Micro Crab)

i think one of my crabs are ready to molt, i know its stupid i got an iso so late but its a 10 gal whats everything i should use for it? i was just thinking of setting it up like my main

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'd reccomend using the same kind of substrate as you have in the main, and make it at least as deep, if not deeper. Moisten the sand with your salt water mix. Make sure you have a temp/humidity gauge in there, too. You don't need as much decor as in the main, but I would provide a hiding place. After the molter-to-be goes down and stays down, you don't have to put food in there anymore, but you might want to keep water available just in case.

3. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Okay, this is probably posted elsewhere, but I'm gonna ask anyway...

How long do you normally leave a "new arrival" in ISO before letting him join the others in your main tank?

-Crystal

4. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I honestly don't iso my new ones as long as they look healthy and aren't stressed out. I usually put him in the damp side of my tank by the food and water and my "greeter", Pinky will come over and check out the newbie. Then they all come out and meet and all is well. But it is just how I do it, it may not work for everyone. I have not lost many crabs since I did away with my iso tank.

5. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

thanks gweebles, I appreciate the post. I signed up for freecycle.org

I already managed to find a home for a ton of clothes...and for our fridge that is gathering dust in the garage....

PLUS...YES THERE'S A PLUS!!

I found a lady that has 2 (two) tanks that she wants to be rid of...she said she thinks they are 15 and 25, but hey even if they are a 10 and a 20 my guys are still gonna have a lot more room!!! She said they kept ... was it ball pythons? in them...So they can't be too little right?!

LONG LIVE FREECYCLE.ORG

-Crystal

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Congrats on the tanks, Crystal! I iso my new crabs for a minimum of a month now. I used to do three weeks, but if you ever have some mysterious deaths after you just added new crabs, its definitely an incentive to be cautious. I bought eight crabs in late October. They weren't very active, and two died in iso (though one was a failed molt) I waited six weeks before moving them, and still wonder if the remaining crabs (all of which are now dead) could have passed something on to a couple of my established crabs who died around that time. You just can't ever know, and even isoing for three months wouldn't guarantee anything. A new crab (or an old one for that matter) could be a symptomless carrier of a disease that would kill another crab. Given that we mix species that would never meet in the wild, this seems especially possible, but even groups of the same species are isolated from each other in the wild.

It really, truly has happened that people have added new crabs to their tank only to watch every single crab in a well-established tank die over a period of a couple months. It's rare, of course, but not impossible. So what I do now is wait a month minimum, and then assess: how many are on the surface, and how active are they? How many have died in iso? If any of those answers cause me some doubt, I wait. Though it seems kinder to move them to the bigger, nicer environment sooner, even good change causes stress, and it may be too much for a hermit crab with a weakened immune system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.