1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self Regulating?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cloie74, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Are Hermit Crabs self temp regulating? I know that lizards aren't and they will sleep in a too hot spot until they literally cook themselves!
    Do crabs know when to move away from heat if it is too warm for them?
    The reason I asked is I have a side mounted Heating pad and 2 of the 6 new crabs have half buried themselves over there, I am sure they are just destressing, we have had them less than a week.
    They are right up against the glass where the heater is I don't want them to cook!
    My tank temp and humidity has been fairly stable so I am sure the tank conditions are good, Humidity fluxuates between 70-75 ish and temp is about the same. I do think that one of the new ones is down for a molt he has been down for 2 days but the others just dig a little hole and lay in it and walk around at night to eat soak and drink.

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

we volunteer our time and unfortunately we all have things going on...

as for your question - its a good question and I would say no

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

No, crabs have been known to sleep on heat rocks and cook themselves to death. If your tank's temp is okay without the heating pad on, I'd say turn it off. Try to make the sand by the heat much shallower so they can't really dig, and put stuff on it (maybe the water bowls) so they won't.

4. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Thanks for the advise, they are all coming up every night o eat drink and climb but is still makes me nervous so tonight I;ll wait for them to come up and move some stuff over there!

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Of course!!! That's why you only put a light or an undertank heater on one side of the tank so that a hermit crab can move into shade or cooler terrain if he wants too. And he will if possible. But if you don't give him a choice he will become dehyrated and die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.