1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeds & Grains

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Mini.Mrs.Crabs, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hi guys! ;D I bought my crabs a whole bunch of different grains and seeds, like millet seeds, quinoa seeds, red lentils, and more from a biological store...To feed to my hermit crabs, do I have to boil them to make them mushier, or can they eat them raw and hard?? Usually I have no problem cooking them, but I am going on vacation :icon_sunny: and was wondering if I can leave them in there raw so they last longer...I don't want to leave them raw if they won't eat it because the grains are too hard though... ???

2. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

millett seeds I just put in my tank, I put a sprig of it in I get from the bird isle, they go to town on it then they are done with it. then I have little sprouts coming up everywhere.
    I know I have something called squeak & something I got from here & I don't know what to do with it either.

3. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I was wondering this as well. I havent a clue how to feed it to my crabs o_O

4. Klabelle

You dont needa cook them, I was curious tonight while my crab was foraging for invisible food, I tossed some sesame seed down and it was cute and interesting to watch him eat it. I usually keep seeds on the top soil in case they go looking for food but sometimes they grow (which is fine). It was funny though, he thought he picked it enough apart, shoved the whole thing in his mouth, spit it out then started picking at it again. He's all excited and is eating a bunch more as I type :spunky:

So I guess in conclusion, crabs just like to pick seeds apart.

5. scoobdoo

well I will go find my squeak and ? give it to them! nocooking is plus for me!

6. Klabelle

Yea, no cooking is always a plus, I'm not able to cook anything for my crabs since my boyfriend and I are spending the summer with his parents. I just kinda toss the seeds on the ground so they can forage a little.
    But in about 3-4 weeks its back to nummy scrambled eggs and other cooked foods xD

7. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

well thanks for letting know about your little "experiment" Katz! Yeah, I left my crabs some hard seeds, and the next day most of them were broken up, so I guessthey were able to break them to eat! Strong little fellas!!

8. Klabelle

It's even cooler to watch them ::) it's funny when they put the whole seed in their mouth and realize they can't eat it yet :chuckle:

9. scoobdoo

I found mine, bubbles and squeaks? sound about right? I put some in & they went for it. I had cooked an egg in some olive oil a few days ago & they love it to

10. Klabelle

I never thought of egg and olive oil, mine like those big corn puff thingies soaked in olive oil

11. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

OP, you can grind seeds/grains, in a coffee grinder, blender, food processor or whatever appliance you have, raw. You can also sprinkle some (whole not ground) lentils, quinoa, millet on your substrate to start some sprouts. Hermit crabs love picking and eating sprouts, at least mine do. The sprouts will not spoil also nuts and dried fruit like raisins, cranberries and cocnut are excellent vacation food.

12. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

A couple of you mentionned starting sprouts from the seeds/grains.
    It's actually sounding like a really good idea! Once I do a well due deep clean of my tank, I'll sprinkle some on the substrate and see if they grow! I'm sure the crabs would love that! I have some sunflower seeds too(nothing added, from a biological store), I wonder if I can grow sunflowers!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.