1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Level/Ledge Idea

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by kuplakrabs, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

This is how I created a second level or ledge for my crabs using plastic suction cup soap dishes. It keeps the center of the tank clear for taller decorations and enables me to get in and clean/stir the substrate without having to remove an entire second level to do so. I have had great success with this and always find my crabs around the ledge.

I carefully place other plants and decorations in such a manner that they "connect" and form a serious of bridges for the crabs to climb and rest on. In otherwords, where one ledge/plant ends, I have made sure the crabs can get onto a piece of cork bark (or something similar) that has been leaned up against it. There are no dead ends so they can continue on their climbing journey [​IMG] all around the tank.

This would work with any size or shape tank.

2nd Level/Ledge with Suction Cup Soap Dishes

2. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

u have a beautiful set up. can u come to my house and do mine too? lol it looks great. i have to sneakly buy things for my tank. my hubby still gets mad when he finds out that i bought something new for them. but ur tank really looks great. where did u get the soap dishes? maybe i can buy some a little at a time so my hubby doesn't notice.
    danielle

3. Flower

Flower Hi, I'm New Here!

I agree your tank does look great!

I used a plexy riser (once used in store for display) for my second level.

you can see it off to the left. I added coco climbing fiber to one side and strips of wood with a row of those plastic palm trees on the other for easy access.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y8/Flowerg/

4. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Kittykay and Flower,
    I'm just now realizing that I didn't respond to this post LOL...Thank you for the compliments too btw.

Anyway, the soap dishes I got from Wal-Mart (I know-dirty word LOL) for around 2.50 each...but I am sure you could get them at a dollar type store too. I tend to go overboard when I find something that works for me. I started off with just a few and then went back and bought all of them. They stick great too.

It looks like it would be hard for them to get from one to the next, but once you put the fake plants along them and postion the plants, the smaller guys can actually use the plants as a means to crawl up them. I also keep extra shells and sponges along the route as well.

Flower, that is a great idea-you are very creative-I bet the crabs love it [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.