1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sea Fan and Finger Sponges

Discussion in 'Discussions, Theories and Trial Ideas' started by Iblab crab, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Hello! I have not been on here in awhile.I redid my tank using a natural sea fan I got from a vendor that I know from the beach.I soaked it in marine salt water and let it dry.I buried the base into the substrate where the sea fan sat straight against the back of the tank against the glass.It looked great agaist the black color of the ultratherm.They love climbing it and nibbling on itI have been collecting finger sponges on the beach in N.C., and soaking them also. I have not tried them yet but I think they would be good for climbing and eating.I find gorgorians on the beach too,they climb and eat these too.I like having natural things in my tank.
    IBlab crab

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

We would love to see some pics! It sounds wonderful.

3. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I have been trying to take a pic but they do not come out.I have an old crappy camera.It is a problem with the reflection off the glass.
    IBlab crab

4. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

I love using natural things i find here in florida for my tank as well. Still waiting to find some great crab shells.

5. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

marleyfish,I am from Florida and miss the beaches ,the beaches here are not the same.The trick to beachcombing is currents and tides.Usually near inlets were currents meet. Go early in the am before other combers.Best time is after a tropical storm has passed,it brings up things from the ocean floor with the higher tides.I went to the outer banks here in NC after a tropical storm.Cape Hatteres.I found lines of beautiful crushed shells,smoothed and rounded from the waves. I had my bucket and it was the best souvenir from the trip.
    IBlab crab

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi Iblab Crab...have you tried taking your pictures at an angle instead of directly at the tank? Standing off to the side sometimes helps to lessen the glare from the glass and the light reflection. :flower:

7. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

Yes jellybean,I did try that.I have an old camera.Everyone takes such clear,upclose pics of their crabs they must be using better camera's.It is a shame because my crabs seem to not mind having their picture taken.I will keep trying.Thanks for the advice!
    IBlab crab

8. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Maybe set your focus to macro instead of auto?

9. Iblab crab

Iblab crab (Micro Crab)

I will try that.Thanks!
    IBlab crab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.