1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sardines?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by MAD, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAD

MAD "PM Jason For Custom Title"

okay, i know, blecccch for some people, but
    (Canned sardines in soybean oil)
    :tuna: :tuna: :tuna: :tuna: :tuna:
    I eatzes em,
    my catzes eatzes em, (and love them, oh its so funny)

i wanna know if crabs can eatzes em,
    (something I ought to know by now, but eh, oh well)

2. MomToDixie

MomToDixie "First Molt In Progress"

I've used the ones in water, I would think the soybean oil would be fine. The only problem I had was finding the ones without salt. They go crazy over them. I don't eat them so I took the can and dumped it in a freezer ziplock and smushed them up. Makes it much easier to break off a piece to thaw.

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

If that's all it has, its ok. No salt though.

I only feed the dried sardines and anchovies, and those smell bad enough! :chuckle:

4. Crabcrazy2

Crabcrazy2 (Small Crab)

:think: Hum... I always thought that you couldn't give da crabbies anything out of a "can" due to metal being bad for them and food can absorb some of that. Please tell me I'm wrong.....its kept me from using canned in the past.... Could it be that it's not such a big worry since a lot of cans are lined with some kind of plastic? I can't even remember where I read it.

5. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs Guest

canned foods are okay, they are safe for us so why not crabs? as long as they are packed in water, not oil or mustard they are fine

6. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

what's good for us isn't necessarily good for the crabs, crazy4crabs. crabs are MUCH more sensitive to things like metal than we are.

i have fed my crabs sardines from a can before, in fact tuna too. once in a while i will give them something from a can but when i say once in a while, i mean like once every 2-4 months. i've really only done it like a handful of times in the 2+ years i've been crabbing.

once in a great while shouldn't hurt too much but just make sure you watch the stuff like salt. also make sure they are either packed in water or olive oil, but nothing else. i dont know anything about soy bean oil.

it really boils down to the fact that it's your choice. just look at the factors and weigh your options. do what feels right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.