1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sand, Sand, Sand

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by scottjan, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

okay I know alot of people use sand with their habitats so I want to know what kind of sand you have tried and use and which has been the best for digging? I use river sand and the crabs seem to love it. It is super for digging

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I went to Lowes and stareted looking around their sands. I saw a playsand bag and started feeling it. It seemed really fine and was not good for tunneling. I asked the guy there are he led me through this maze of dorrs to some pavment sand I could stick my hand in it and make little holes that stayed. I can tell lyou the brand in a second. It was grayish and looked naturalish. I took home 4 bags of it but ende up using three for my tank. If you have a 20 gallon tank a bag will be fine. In the end my sand was almost 10 inches deep. THe brand is...
    Greensmix paver sand.
    It's $3.99 per bag and as I said before has a TON of sand in it.
    Hope this helps.;)
    PS it says 140 liters on it.

3. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

Yup! that is pretty much what im using. I end up with tunnels all over the place! I didnt buy it at lowes or home depot but its about the same kinda of sand.

4. cococrisp

OH. It only costs $4 there so I got it. I have not put any crabs in the new tank yet but I've started decorating and it's got tons of vines and stuff. Once I post the pictures you'll see the sand better. I put gravel on about a third of it and the rest in playsand.

5. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

It sounds really cool, Cant wait to see the pics of it when your done! does the crabies seem to like the vines pretty good?

6. cococrisp

THey are not in yet. I'm giving CHeerio a mite check/bath today and then she will be the first in. I'll be taking the pics this weekend.

7. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Hermies love vines! :) Actually, any type of plant, they just love.(fake, of course) My hermies like to take the vines down and drag them halfway under the EE. Goofy guys!

8. cococrisp

Don't make me think twice about putting 7 5 foot vines in there.;)

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

If the sand doesn't say safe for children I would not use it.

10. cococrisp

Do you know if it's safe or not? I can always take it out but if it's not necessary I won't.

11. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

You have to realize that some of the cheaper sands have SHARPER blades of SILICA.......use Toys R Us brand- some people like the homedepot play sand- I have to see what it looks like but you dont want a sand that has a bunch of rocks--leaves--etc that means its not really a good sand---think about the hermies soft abdomens- they live in the stuff- YOUR NAKED EYE cant see the silica so you have to go by research and what conclusions they came up with

12. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

My dad was going to go to Home Depot to get sand but he forgot. I'm going to mix play sand and eco earth for my new tank.

13. cococrisp

It is sharpish. There are several little rocks here and there but it's perfect for digging. It was perfect at the store but now I guess I'll go throw out three whole bags of it and get something else. It does not have leaves and the little rocks are pin head size.

mixing playsand and EE does not sound good. I heard several people didit and it did not turn out well.

14. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

yes you can do that and its a great mix-helps keep the sand moist and gives the hermies a change. Some do a 1/2 & 1/2 tank too- play around and see what they like the best :)

15. cococrisp

Really? Sorry, someone earlier said that it was a mess and that it clumped.
    Sorry.

16. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

Hmmm im going to have to look more into this whole sand vs sand subject alittle more. I have always used river sand in part of the tank with EE in another and my little guys seem to love to dig and hide in the river sand which is pretty much close to the same thing as concrete sand and paver sand.

Im lucky I am able to get my hands on just about any kind of sand and have it sifted to super fine or left course. I like my sand in the middle, not to fine not to rough. Ive never tried the super fine sand before cuz it never seemed to be good for digging but I may have to try out the fine sand and see what the little ones think of it.

17. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I think I'm going to have some of the tank a mix, some just eco earth, and some just sand, so if it does clump it won't all be wasted and so my hermies have a lot of digging choices! :)

18. cococrisp

The paver sand has some chemical that causes cancer... at least they could bring the font size up a notch from 6 point font. I mean, it a huge bag of sand and they put that in the very small corner...
    I got some new natural playsand at home depot. I'm going to look how smooth it is because it's not open. They said it was fine sand without pebbles and stuff.

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

Calci sand clumps, not playsand.

20. cococrisp

Somewhere back a couple months ago someone asked and that was the answer they got. I guess I sort of followed that and assumed they were right.
    Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.