1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salt Water Aquarium

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by krackersmom2, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My hubby and I are thinking about getting into salt water aquariums. We were in the fish store today. They have a huge variety of salt water aquarium life. I happened upon the salt water hermies (purely by accident:cool:). They had the tiniest itty bitty micro crabs I have ever seen:eek:!
    Anyway later at home it dawned on me that if we get a salt water aquarium, I can buy salt water hermies!!:D My husband simpliy shook his head and looked up at the sky...he's so blessed!:p

I bought a couple of zebra danios and a ghost shrimp for my aquarium at school. I've always kept smaller fast paced fish in a small aquarium with bettas.....well, Lemondrop (my male yellow betta) seems less that pleased with his new roommates. Anyhoo....the little ghost shrimp was only .35 cents, and my five year old was begging me to get it. I told him if it survives a week, we'll get some more. They are pretty cool....you can see them digest their food because they are totally transparent.

2. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

I have a brackish water (half salt, half fresh) aquarium for my four fiddler crabs. I have guppies (yes, they can live in brackish water) along with four ghost shrimp (they can live in brackish water too). From what I've read, ghost shrimp are very hardy, so I'm betting yours will last a week. :)

There's a purely salt-water and reptiles store near me called Gills, Etc that has the most adorable and vibrantly coloured marine hermies. Their land hermies... not so great (read my review in Stores Exposed).

3. Agustus&Nigel

Agustus&Nigel (Micro Crab)

I've been thinking about salt water hermies but then I got my new jumbo, Juno.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

My zebra danios survived the nigth with my betta, so they are probably going to be okay. The ghost shrimp seemed very content...took me a little while to spot him :D.
    If we do get a salt water aquarium, I definitely want a little clownfish. I think the black clownfish are beautiful as well.

5. drk_paramour

drk_paramour "Never Molted"

lol I've actually been considering starting a saltwater tank too. I stopped by this new store called Planet coral to look around and talk to someone who could give me an idea of what it would be like to start one. I found out that they are having a sell with a nano cube set up with live sand, 6 lbs of live rock, a clown fish, a hermit crab, a shrimp and an anemone and the salt water for $180...I really want one. I got to wait to talk to my boyfriend tomorrow when he gets back in town, but I really really want it. I just want to be sure I can do everything right, because I've only delt with freshwater tanks in the past so I'm a lil nervous.

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've been thinking of a saltwater tank for awhile too. I presently have a 55 gallon with tropical fish. My main drawback is if I have to flush one of the saltwater fish because they died. ca-ching* ca-ching! :eek: :D

7. drk_paramour

drk_paramour "Never Molted"

lol yes it can be quite expensive for a single lil saltwater fishy. I'm just trying to figure out if I can also deal with coral and everything, I'm not sure how maintenance on living coral is.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

From what I understand, once you get the tank established and have a descent filtration system, it pretty well takes care of itself. You can have a simple setup, which takes less maintence. The more elaborate setups require more diligence and patience, and know-how. The ones I've talked to say to start out small and make sure everything is just right before going bigger. I know one of the things I can't do with a salt tank is mess around inside of it a lot. I'm always doing this, that, or the other to my tropical tank. sigh....I don't know...I've been toying with it for 5 years now and haven't done it yet..."cluck-cluck-cluck" (that's me---chicken) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.