1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salt for Ecuadorians?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by cpcmember2000, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

I am new to hermit crabs and read that the ecuadorian ones (which I will be getting shortly) need salt. Is it possible to give them a salt/mineral block and spray it every day?

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Hi cpcmember2000, welcome to the HCRU glad to have ya here.
    [​IMG]not to sure about a salt/mineral blocks. yes E's(ecuadorians) do need salt water along with fresh water. I use Doc. Welfish aquariam salt. You can also use ocean salt and there are a few others out there. It's only a couple of $. But, All speices of hermit crabs benifit from salt water, but E's, Ruggies, Cavipe's, Indo's, and Strawberries have to have it to survive. No matter what speice you have you need to offer declorinated salt water and fresh declorinated water. :Her

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

First off, welcome to HCRU cpcmember2000! As for E's needing saltwater you are correct in fact every species of crab needs it even the hardy purple pinchers in my opinion as well as fresh non chlorinated water. We use Oceanic sea salt which is used for salt water aquariums. Please do not use Table Salt as it is poison. You can also use a few other different brands of aquarium salt such as Doc Welfish &/Or Instant Ocean depending on what your particular local store carries. Please go to The Library (Carved In Stone) for a reference guide on how to make the aquarium sea salt mix in smaller amounts. I use a half gallon used milk carton to store mine. Just keep the lid on it and it stays fresh up until about the time you are to the bottom of the batch. Its perfect. Once again it is wonderful to have you a part of our growing community and please feel free to post as many questions as you like.

Cappa [​IMG]

4. cpcmember2000

cpcmember2000 Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the welcome! I am wondering about the Ethoxyquin for my turtles now as I see it is in all the foods I feed them. I posted it on a turtle forum I belong to so I will see how they feel about it there. I am actually getting the crabs this week and trying to "perfect" a way to teach my nieces how to care for them at Christmas when they get them as their gifts. They're in 2nd grade and I thought hermit crabs would be a great starter pet for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.