1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

salt and shells

Discussion in 'Product Reviews.' started by sami, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sami

sami "Never Molted"

I'm glad for this forum! I was going to order HBH brand salt for my little guys, but I looked at one of the previous threads saying this was a bad brand. Does anyone use "Instant Ocean"??? Its not specifically for hermies, but will it still be ok for them? Another important question... Does anybody know a good online store to shop at for natural hermit crabshells? I'm really disappointed with the painted ones i bought from petdiscounters.com They are rough on the inside and have a chemical odor, but I was happy with other products that i ordered. They may not be as pretty but from now on i'm going with natural shells ONLY! No painted ones what so ever!

2. spidtat

spidtat (Micro Crab)

I use Instant Ocean and I know many other crabbers do as well. I have never had a problem with it, but that is just my opinion. There are a few places for shells online I know of, and they are the crabbagepatch.com, Naples Seashell Company, El's Shells, just to name a few. I have found most of mine at Michael's and other craft stores and they are normally cheaper as well. Anyway just some suggestions.

3. sami

sami "Never Molted"

:DThank you so much Spidtat! Your advise was very useful and much appreciated.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

A number of crabbers also use API Aquarium Salt sold at Walmart and some other stores. It comes in a carton and is reasonably priced.

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I use Oceanic

6. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Also theres a link on the fourm, that will give you 10% off at napleseashells.com

7. sami

sami "Never Molted"

I looked online at crabbagepatch.com and found a huge selection of natural and decently priced shells:) I'm also going to check walmart for salt. I finally got a chance to change their substrate from gravel to sand and they seem to love it compared to the other stuff. I finally saw the little guys eat :D and also move around a bit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.