1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe & Unsafe Crabitat Items

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Jul 1, 2009.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

I got a PM from a member saying it would be a good idea to list safe & unsafe crabitat items and the reasons why(more for unsafe) to not use them in the crabitats.

I'm making this thread a sticky. So list away!

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Unsafe: those 'all-natural edible hideys' intended for hamsters/gerbils/etc. They contain pine. Silk plants if they have wire in them and you cut them; if you cover the cut metal end with aquarium sealant, they're safe then (the wire rusts).

3. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

unsafe - table salt, the anti-caking ingredients are deadly to crabs, cedar substrate - cedar repells insects, which are related to crabs

4. imported_Sterwick

imported_Sterwick "Preparing For Second Molt"

Thankyou, i found the info useful. I also have some suggestions:

- Foods with pesticides and fertilisers, including most commercial crab diets. I find Hikari the best Brand;

- Anything from a conifer tree;

- Paint (which is a risk if painted shells are used);

- and substrate with any chemicals in (such as miracle-gro).

Hope you find useful.

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Safe:
    Cholla (Choya) Logs
    Hemp nets
    Cork
    Plastic plants
    Eco Earth
    Terra Cotta pots etc
    Instant Ocean and Oceanic salt water.
    Anything from the Hermit Crab Addiction Store.

Unsafe:
    Metal
    Paver Sand
    Pine logs or Half pine logs
    Chlorinated Tap Water
    Most Commercial foods and water conditioners

6. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I use Hikari freeze dried Spirulina and Brine Shrimp fish food. I was super glad to find it. :) Costs around $8 a container but it lasts a good while and comes in these convenient little "blocks". The crabs like it and it doesn't have anything weird in it, it's just freeze dried spirulina and brine shrimp with some added vitamins. No ethoxyquin(sp) or preservatives.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

poly resin lawn ornaments, after awhile they will make your tank stink! Unsafe
    terra cotta ornaments washed really good with the salted treated water safe {?}

8. Holly12

Holly12 Guest

Pine shaveings very bad for them
    Aloe Vera I found out is very bad for them
    Calcium sand very bad for them
    reptile bark very bad for them

Okay I list some of things they can not have I hope this help out a little. :)

9. marleyfish

marleyfish "First Molt In Progress"

why is calci sand bad for them? i use a bone sand and ee mix is that bad for my crabs?

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Can you link me to the bone sand? Calci sand clumps and hardens.

11. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Bone Aid Calci-Sand { is this what is being talked about? } I just typed in bone sand and this is what popped up so I copied and pasted it. So does it mean it is a type of it just under a dif name?

T-Rex Bone Aid Calci-Sand is a pure, natural calcium carbonate, fine granular sand. It is an ideal substrate for reptiles, turtles, tortoises, and lizards. Reptiles like to eat their sand, therefore T-REX has designed this sand to be safe for both ingestion and digestion. The sand is a mineral substance and is safe for use with the heating elements, such as mats or cables. The sand also clumps readily when wet for easy detection and clean up of moist areas. It does not allow for mite infestation, mold or fungus growth which will keep your reptile healthy. It is made with colorants approved by the F.D.A. The amount of sand needed for your reptile's environment depends on how many valleys and hills you want to create. Generally, it is recommended that you fill the environment with 1-2" of sand depth

Price: $6.69

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

It's not safe. Here's why.

"The sand also clumps readily when wet for easy detection and clean up of moist areas."

"It is made with colorants"

13. mom_of_3

mom_of_3 (Micro Crab)

What about drift wood off of the beach or sections of old shrimping nets? The nets were treated with dyes (granted I know the dyes are bad which is why I say old and not newly dipped) but I was thinking more like aged nets like you would see hanging off of a beach house or something like that. What are ya'lls thoughts on these items?

14. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

Calci sand hardens at the smallest bit of moisture, considering crabs need sand castle consistency sand- it isn't a pretty picture. I lost a crab when I was a clueless, forumless crabber by giving them calcisand- they dumped water on it, dug down- and it hardened like cement and deposited the water in her tunnel, killing poor Misty by trapping her underground and than drowning her:(

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It is hard to say on the driftwood. If you or someone you know knows that it is not of pine, cedar, or of that species it would be OK. But if you don't know then it is not a good idea.

16. marleyfish

I live in florida and have found several big pieces of white coral that my crabs love to climb on (boiled it in salt water first of course) is it safe?

17. Frostfire

Frostfire "Never Molted"

As long as it isn't treated or dyed with anything its definitely safe, I have seen many a crabber with corals in their tank, and the crabs love them.

18. marleyfish

Its not treated or dyed i pulled it out of the ocean myself

19. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Pssst......be careful when you do that---the Coral beds are protected by the Federal Govt.

Boil or soak your coral in Marine Salt water and let it air dry for a day or two. That way no unwanted micro-organisms will be introduced into your tank. :flower: