1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Food List

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Jun 17, 2007.

1. vckums

vckums Moderator

Most grocery stores carry them. I don't like many dried fruits, fresh for me!

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I think my crabs will be good with out the prunes...:eek::eek: They'll have an apple tonight instead.
    Thanks;)

3. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Thanks! :) Sometimes I can't find any organic fruits and I don't feel like cutting up an apple, so I just feed them a prune instead since they're a lot smaller.

4. cococrisp

I take things out of this compost jar. It sits on the counter and every day is taken out to the compost. It has all sorts of apple peels and vegetables in it. There are often egg shells and always something on the safe food list.

5. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Hehe. I think several years back there was a big campaign to change the word "prune" to "dried plums" (which is what a prune is). Prunes (especially prune juice) have long had a somewhat negative association as being something sort of yucky, that people (especially old people) eat or drink in order to help with constipation (they have a lot of fiber and help you "go"). So now I think prunes are generally marketed as dried plums. You can usually find them in the grocery store near the raisins.

Nikki

6. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Ok so I got some herbs that I can't find on the safe list, can anyone tell me if I can feed them....
    Greek Oregano
    German Thyme
    Sweet Basil
    Flat Italian Parsley
    Rosemary Romano
    They are organic and in organic soil, I just don't know if they are safe for the crabs since I can't find it anywhere.

7. cococrisp

Usually if they don't eat it, don't feed it. I know that's true with tortoise and almost every other animal but you can try it. It sounds pretty good. They can eat regular parsley, I think.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oregano oil can be used as a natural insecticide, so I'd suggest not using it. Rosemary is on the unsafe list, so I'd suggest not using any kind.

I couldn't find anything on Basil.

Parsley is in the carrot and dill family, carrots are safe yet dill is not. I'd suggest a trial on it.

I found this on Thyme
    Thyme and thyme oil are generally recognized as safe by the FDA. However, thyme oil can irritate the skin when applied topically. Taken internally in large doses, it is poisonous. Thymol is especially toxic, and can produce the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, gastritis, headache, dizziness, convulsions, coma, cardiac arrest, and respiratory collapse.
    Thyme

9. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Well so far I gave the basil so I will see how that goes with them. I did see that rosemary was on the unsafe list after I of course wrote that thread. I will just not use the others especially if they are not tested yet. I don't want to harm any crabs and it is not that important since I just ordered a ton of stuff from you that will hopefully be here in the next few days or so.

10. YouveGotCrabs

One thing I noticed was that bamboo is on the safe food list, but LUCKY BAMBOO is on the unsafe list. It might be worth editing the safe food list to say (except lucky bamboo) next to bamboo, because lucky bamboo is sold all over the place and if people see "bamboo" on the safe food list, they might not think to check the unsafe food list for lucky bamboo specifically. Lucky Bamboo is pretty, but it can be some nasty stuff. I had no idea it was poisonous till a year or so ago a friend of mine's cat got poisoned to death by a lucky bamboo she had in the house. My friend had no idea it was toxic either, the cat liked to chew on it, she never really thought anything of it till after the cat died.

My stepsister in law and mother in law gave me a lucky bamboo plant today. It's pretty, but it's up on the highest shelf I've got, far away from my cats. :)

So yeah, it might be a good idea to put that caveat on the safe food list. :)

Nikki

11. cococrisp

That's a good idea. I was thinking about it when i was reading the safe and unsafe food list. I had this crazy idea of memorizing it but I am SOO bad at memorizing. I could not memorize the first ten things in a month!:eek: I almost bought a lucky bamboo plant for them! We should so make a little pocket bock about 3"x4" with tiny writing and the hermit crab safe and unsafe food list! :D And then you could carry it everywhere in your pocket and it would be especially handy in the grocery store. :)

12. Laughs O Lot

Poor cat. :(
    I can't memorize it either! But if I see an ingredient, I usually know if it's on the safe food list or not from reading it a billion times, but sometimes I'm clueless! That index card thing is a good idea! :)

13. YouveGotCrabs

I'm a bit confoozed. I found a lot of info (in closed archived threads) about people putting small palms in their crabitats. Someone even listed "parlor palm" as a nontoxic. I looked up parlor palm on Plantfiles.com and it says that all parts are poisonous if ingested...is it just toxic to people and cats, dogs, etc and nontoxic to crabs? do crabs not eat it?

I'm trying to plan out my 75 gallon crabitat and I would love to include some live plants. I think I'm going to go for spider plants and bromeliads. Bamboo grows wild in my mother-in-law's backyard so I might check that out too. I would LOVE to put a small sago or parlor palm in there but I don't want to poison my crabbies. It's hard for me to imagine how palm is poisonous to critters that live on the beach. :)

14. cococrisp

I think sago palms are not good. Someone posted a little back about that. It's on this thread. If they are on the unsafe food list you should not use them, even if someone else did. You could put some pansies in (I know off topic) because hermit crabs love to eat them etc.:D

15. Laughs O Lot

Or you could put in some dandelions maybe?

16. YouveGotCrabs

I put a bromeliad in there today. Lowes had a rack of somewhat floppy and sickly looking plants on clearance, and there were a few bromeliads, so I bought one. I figure the crabs will probably munch it to death anyway.

I saw some ponytail palms (which i saw on a list as supposedly OK), but they were all too big.

They had some awesome tiny sago palms, but I behaved myself.

Gonna see if my mom's got any spider plants making baby spider plants right now, and see if my MIL will let me dig up some of her bamboo. :)

Oh, another thing they had at Lowes that was AWESOME were little pineapple plants making little pineapples. :-D I wanted one for the tank but I wasn't sure off the top of my head if the pineapple plants were OK for crabbies.

Nikki

17. cococrisp

COol! I know pineapples are OK for crabs. Make sure it's regular plants; not some other thing that looks like it but mini or something.

18. Laughs O Lot

Awesome! :D Do you think I could put an impatien in my tank? They can eat the petals, but not the leaves or stem.

19. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Is basil safe for them? Like the basil leaf because I have some growing in my backyard:D

20. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Oh yeah also is bread good for them? I saw a video of some E's eating bread on Youtube but I wanted to make sure if it's okay before I feed it to them

Sorry for double-posting, I know it's bad but it won't let me edit the last message.:(