1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Food List

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Thanks Vicki...I've always fed them chunks of cucumbers (on occassion) and have never noticed any ill effects. I also never feed them questionable food (old or moldy, etc,). If I wouldn't eat it, I don't feed it to them.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome but it would be good to find out why it was mentioned harmful to them. It might need to be revisited and researched on hermit crabs for a more definate answer.

3. momof2hermi_bashfull

momof2hermi_bashfull "First Molt In Progress"

I am thinking sometime in the future to turn my tat, into a vivarium (sp) and wondering about what plants I can grow into the tat, that are safe for hermits.

Here are a few ideas and sampler packs I had seen from black jungle.

Alocasia, Calathea, Gesneriad, Fern, Selaginella, Ficus pumila, Begonia, and a Tropical Pitcher Plant (carnivorous)

Tillandsia

Humata tyermanii "White Rabbits Foot", Selaginella kraussiana "Gold Tips", Calathea concinna, Creeping Fig Variegated, Cryptanthus pup

Though I probably wouldn't use all of the above, but these are some of the sample packs that are avail. and I love growing things and would like to have their tat a more natural look so looking at some options as what kind of plants I can grow in their and still be safe for the hermi's

4. lolagranola

lolagranola Hi, I'm New Here!

It is not regular cucumber that is harmful it is Wild Cucumber which is found in parts of the US (also called Manroot) but looks nothing like the common cucumber we use on our salads and for pickles and things.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Thanks for the info, which by the way is very interesting. I learned something new. I've heard of manroot, but had no clue as to what it was.

6. XregretableloveX

XregretableloveX Hi, I'm New Here!

green apples?

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

green apples are safe. I love the freeze dried ones, those can be addicting.

8. daddybo

daddybo Hi, I'm New Here!

Are Honey Nut Cheerios okay for hermies? My son wants to feed them to our crabs but I won't let him until I know that they are safe...

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Check the ingredients. If it contains salt, pass on it. There are a kind of cheerios that can be fed as a treat, but they aren't the regular kind. Whole grain I think.

10. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Mine love the whole grain ones. They take one with them and go hide to eat it. They all love them, it is their favorite.

11. NYCTaxiCrab

NYCTaxiCrab "Never Molted"

This was so helpful, thank you. I know what's going to happen...I'm going to buy healthier foods for my Hermit Crabs and, in turn, end up eating healthier myself!

It'll be a new trend..."The Hermit Crab Diet"!!!

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL There ya go!

13. daddybo

daddybo Hi, I'm New Here!

I was on the Addiction site and have a couple of questions: With the oils do I just sprinkle some on my crabs food when I feed them? Should I use it every day or just as a treat? Also, What is Ocean Potion? I noticed that you didn't have any info so I thought I'd ask...Also, the Hawaiian Red Sea Salt, do I just crush that and add it to food also?

14. NotaMallard

NotaMallard "First Molt, A Success"

Coffee. I have lots of organic ground coffee laying around. Is it safe? Is it poisonous? Is there any nutritional value?

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

Drizzle the oils onto the foods. They won't eat the same thing everyday, so vary it up.

Ocean potion is a mixture of things such as fish, shrimp, seaweed etc.

The salt can be crushed and added to foods.

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

I remember there was a discussion on one of the forums about coffee. I'm leaning towards no nutritional value, so it's best not fed to them. Sorry.

17. lolagranola

lolagranola Hi, I'm New Here!

Raw, unroasted coffee beans may very well have beneficial effects as they could be considered native foods and would be a fairly safe trial food (although noone I know has tried it or talked about trialing unroasted beans). However once they are roasted I would say a definite no. Roasted coffee is full of carcinogens and I wouldn't want to risk it. I vote you sprinkle the grounds on your potted plant dirt or in your garden/flower bed, it's great for your soil! Your compost pile too!

18. NYCTaxiCrab

NYCTaxiCrab "Never Molted"

Remember, Hermit Crabs are scavengers, they're not going to be too picky in regard to preparation. Imagine an HC complainin': "Yo! Wasssup? Don't cha know I like my zucchini julienned and blanched?" LOL. It any event, it's nice to know that people care enough to ask what's best. I was wiping myself out until i realized that my obsession had everything to do with my own neurosis and NOT my HC's!!! ;)

19. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

I once tried giving the crabs green (unroasted) coffee beans but they showed no interest in them. I wanted to do a trial on the leaves, but could never get my hands on any. Most of us are pretty apprehensive about anything containing caffeine, but then again, green tea is becoming quite a popularly fed item in some crab circles.

20. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena (Micro Crab)

Also, a lot of people think that roasting is what gives coffee its caffeine, but I have a coffee roaster friend that assures me that green coffee beans (raw, unroasted) are fully caffeinated.