1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules of the ISO!

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by HermitPaws, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I won't be able to introduce them to my big guys till they come up to the surface. Do I have to wait till everyone has surfaced to introduce new crabs? Or is it okay for them to just meet the ones on the surface before they hit the new home?

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

It should be fine to intorduce them without the molters, if I had to wait to intro new crabs til everyone was up they would be in ISO forever lol
    By the time your molters come up the new crabs will smell just like everyone else anyway :)

3. cloie74

When I get new crabs I always buy in pairs so they arent lonely in ISO.
    Recently I have been getting my crabs at my brand new local Petco which keeps their crabs in almost the exact conditions I do with the exception of food they feed commercial, SO I bring them home and put them in my 10 Gal ISO With a protein loaded diet Lots of chicken and beef, along with cooked shrimp, Krill and blood worms and a couple fruits and veggies. (This prevents them from snacking on the other crabs)
    If they are up and about and eating properly, on day 3 I will give them a luke warm salt dip to check for mites and to neutralize their scent and then in the main tank they go.
    This so far has worked with the last 3 purchases VERY well without a single issue, lost limb or death. If a new crab is showing signs of PPS I WILL keep him in the ISO a little longer and possibly let him stay buried in there for a while.
    Also it is important to add that I DO NOT bathe as soon as I bring them home I think it stresses them WAY too much AND once they are in the ISO I dont touch them AT ALL until I bathe them for the main tank and after that I dont touch them for about 4 weeks.

4. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

ahhh what was I thinking! should have waited to give them their bath especially my little one who is in pretty bad shape. I already gave them the bath, should I give them another bath when they go into the main tank just to make sure there is no mites? Also does any of the above change if i'm introducing a new specie of hermie? My tank is filled with E's to my knowledge and the two newbies are PP's.

5. cloie74

Nah they wont notice the different species.
    Yes you should give them a quick dip before the new tank.
    I just fill a coffee cup with luke warm salt water (Decholrinated) and drop them in flip them over to make sure it is getting way back in their shell and then take them out takes about 10 seconds tops then put them right in the main tank you should do it at night when your other crabs are most active so you will know right away if there is going to be any aggression problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.