1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules of the ISO!

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by HermitPaws, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

OK to me is sounds like people are digging up crabs and isoing them so i thought id post this. MODS feel free to add on!

ISO IS FOR:
    • Surface molts
    • Sick crabs
    • New crabs
    • Naked Crabs
    DO NOT DIG UP A CRAB UNLESS YOU ARE SURE ITS DEAD!

The ISO Should Be Aleast a 10 gal tank with the same kind of set up as the main.

2. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I'm not a mod but also add water, food, shelter, extra snail shells, and atleast half a foot of sand or lower.
    Also you can put aggresive crabs in there too.
    Try to make the tank feel like your other tank since your crab can feel punished if you just put a bottle cap and some commercial food that showing the crab that your a horrible owner, which actully your not.

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Thanks Hermitpaws...your post is good info for those who aren't sure. :)

4. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Thank you HermitPaws and CoolDoggy10. . . This post was very helpful. . .

5. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

THought I might make a suggestion... I'm not a mod either but for new crabs I suggest you start with the conditions that you got them from and then work up to what's in your main tank. New temps and humidities can be stressful and kill a crab that has been under bad care too long (PPS). They don't adjust to big changes very well.

6. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Cococrisp is absolutely right!!! Changes in crabitats and changes in temperature can stress a hermie. . .

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I forgot, and I hate PPS, my 3 crabs died of it

8. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Good job HermitPaws! :D I'm not a mod, but 1 more thing to your list: crabs with mites.

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Mites are a hard thing to deal with because you have to sterilize your tank while ISOing them to ensure no mites are in the substrate, etc. I haven't had to deal with them yet, hopefully won't ever have to.

Honestly, I'm skeptical of ISOing a non-surface molter if you have a tank big enough for all the crabs you have in it. I'm glad that you put only surface molts in there - changing a pre-molter's environment suddenly to ISO him will only cause him to put off the molt for even longer until he's comfortable in the new place.

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I don't ISO regular molters. I hardly can figure out which crab went down when and where and I'd be terrified that something would go wrong when I moved them.

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Me too! I only isoed my surface molters, and Crusty, because he was already in the ten gallon, and I wanted to move Sherbert and Lou-Lou into the 20g.

12. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

this maybe a dumb question but I figure I ask then make any mistakes. When multiple crabs go under at different times do I have to worry about them digging each other up or disturbing a molting crab? Or do they have more crab consideration then that :p

13. emmac350

If your tank is big enough to hold the crabs you have in it, then no, you shouldn't have to worry. Crabs don't dig straight down when they're digging (some say it's like their crabs are digging a subway system under there), so don't panic if it looks like one is digging by where another did. But if your tank is big enough for your crabs, then digging each other up shouldn't be much of a problem.

14. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

the tank is a 20g and all three crabs went under on the right side of the tank and Jack (only grab on the surface) keeps digging down but coming back up i'm worried he may disturb one of them. But at the same time I think he is so lonely I wouldn't wanna iso him to keep him away from his home.

15. emmac350

Feed him well - protein and calcium especially, but all the food groups, and offer fresh and salt water. New crabs will dig for a while, but given good conditions normally molt within a month of being bought...the better nutrition they get, the quicker mine seem to molt.

16. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

is there any specific time period for iso before u introduce the new guys to my other crabbies? and will introducing new crabs to the tank harm my crabs that are under?

17. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

I agree with the above, only I would suggest that the at least a 10 gallon tank should be modified a bit to "the largest accommodations you can provide and keep stable" especially when using it for new crabs. In fact I would suggest that ISO as it is commonly used int he crab world is really two separate things:

A) quarantine of new animals before putting them in with the main group

B) a place for animals requiring somewhat specialized care or separation from other crabs.

I would keep the two above very separate. And always service the main group first, then the Iso animals and then the quarantine animals, washing up between each group.

Ideally, quarantine materials are separate from ISO or main group materians altogether, though that can be impractical.

Keith

18. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

In most professional animals settings quarantine is 30 days minimum. IT is also good to remember thought that quarantine is best thought of as a process, not a time period. Somethings will take longer. Now hermit crabs do not have a battery of post purchase testing to be done, so most would be dsone with their observation period within whatever period of time you decide is adequate.

Some other "rules"

All in All out: if you have a 30 day Qx period, and add another animal to a Qx group at say, day 28, everyone re-starts the Qx period. This avoid overlap - which is a Qx no-no.

Someone is sick: Wait 30 days until after the resolution of the ailment or death of an animal unless you have identified the cause and it is non-infectious.

How many private owners of any species do this? Few, but it can be helpful if you ahve large numbers, the pain of erradicating something from a large collection is nothing compared to having an inconvenient quarantine program.

Keith

19. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Thanks for the info. Here I am thinking a week tops would do the trick hehe silly me. Is it a good idea to bring your hermies to meet the new ones before they interact in the main tank? I have 2 that have just gotten home and they are a different species and one of them looks really frail and fragile and quite small. I'd be afraid to let her meet all the crabs especially at once in the main tank.

20. emmac350

What I do to introduce my new guys to their new tankmates is let them meet in a neutral place. I use my Rubbermaid exerciser, and I put the new guys in first until they seem okay with it (so they've kind of accepted it as theirs) then introduce the old crabs one by one. I leave them all in there for a little bit, then, starting with the new guys, give them a bath (use the same water for all crabs so they smell the same in the tank) and put them in the main tank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.