1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruggie Mix

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by vckums, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

2. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

But Vicki, I can't tell my Equadorians from my Ruggies, much less tell which crab to go to which bowl. I really am a bad crab mommy.

3. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

rugs have black marks under the eyes E's dont and e's tend to be shades of blue greens and oranges

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Send me some pics of your guys and I can ID them for you. You can't go by color alone, E's and Rugs come in many colors. However, a Rug has a specific armor leg. It's really thick and squarish. Where as E's are more flat.
    I know I posted an ID link someone made using pictures. I'll see if I can find the thread.

5. nancy

I actually know what to look for. They just don't hold still long enough and they're still pretty small. Oh, and I have a white one too. I'll just get out my magnifying glass and try again. How do I figure out the white one, though?

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

I've only seen white rugs, never a white E.

Your best bet is to go and try to ID them by the armor leg

7. Itsy

it is possible its a premature strawberry that hasnt got its colouring yet ive got one that looks like a little candy cane

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Youd be able to tell in the ID by eyes and markings. I've never heard of an all white straw, even a juvenile one.

9. Itsy

my friend chris had an all white one he thought it was a rug but after it molted it started to get the candy cane look hes had it for over a year now and shes molted 4 times and is a beautiful red

10. nancy

This little white crab has molted at least three times since I got him. The only color on him is a very faint stripe running down each leg. He's a very small crab, meaning he does not grow in leaps and bounds like a strawberry.

11. Itsy

Yeh im excited for when my strawberry molts shes i hope her colouring will become more promonant and rich you can see the red coming through already and its so amazing in colour!

12. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I have an E That is mostly white. Only the tips of his legs have a little orange on them. If he didn't chirp so much I would swear he was a ruggie. My smaller E's are often a very light shade of grey, they do tend to grow much more slowly than my other species too. If it is a ruggie the outer antennea will be reddish. Sometimes it easier to tell if you snap a picture.

13. BL00DYMARY

Vicky, is there a special diet the ruggies should be eating? I am down to one ruggie.. my other two died mysteriously for reasons unknown to me. They would be fine, active, eating etc, then they would climb to the top of a tree and stop moving. My E's and my PP's and even my lonely Cavie are thriving. Could it be that I was not giving them something that they needed in their diet? I feed a variety of fresh foods and I make my own dry mixes. What kinds of things do Ruggies need in their diet?

14. vckums

vckums Moderator

When I made my mixes, I did a search of floral and plants where Rugs were found. What was near the beach and sort of inland. Then I cross referrenced to Keries safe/unsafe food lists. I did some trial runs and got good feedback from the members who tried it. (I dont have rugs) Everyone thrived and the bowl would be empty after each feeding. I suggest 1-2 times of the mix a week.
    So do the same, find the plants/flowers/sea life where rugs are, find out what is on there that you don't have, and then add to it. I find tho that Rugs like the palm oil and worm castings, since poop is a main source in the wild where they are. Weird critters.

15. BL00DYMARY

I just ordered some of your ruggie mix (among other things). So I'll let you know how he likes it.
    Also, is there any other preferences that ruggs have that differ from that of PPs or Es? Like temp/ humidity ranges maybe?
    I have had really bad luck with both Ruggies and Strawberrys, and I don't want to get any more unless I know what I've been doing wrong. I have a very deep pond for salt water, and I have a three tiered fountain with a deeper bottom for fresh water. I have a 40g breeder that stays consistantly between high 70's-low 80's in both temp & humidity with just the two low watt moon glow bulbs. I have 4½" of eco earth throughout the tank. I am considering putting a small UTH under art of the tank. I'm just afraid to add it because I always have so many down molting & I never really know exactly where they are. If there is already a species-specific list of needs posted would you mind linking me to it?

16. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

This may be a dumb question but can the PP's eat the Coenobita Rugosus Food Mix as well because I have 5 PP's and 4 rugies in the same tank?

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

I don't know of a list, but I will look around.

Yes all species will eat the mixes, some people don't have just one species in a tank.

18. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

maby an albino hermie

19. BL00DYMARY

I got my order & the answer is a definite "YES" They all tore into it!
    Thanks Vicki, I can't wait to try some of your other mixes. :)

20. vckums

vckums Moderator

Woohoooo!Glad they liked it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.