1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock Salt

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Hermitz101, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

(I think this is where it goes) Can you put rock salt in water for the saltwater for hermit crabs? What about salt that doesn't have Iodiane(sp?) in it? Will either one of these work? Thanks.

2. reader101

reader101 Banned

Hi! You might want to try general care/questions forum, but my experience is that you only use aquarium salt in your salt water dish for hermies - don't forget the fresh water dish as well (bottled water best for both). Iodized salt is not acceptable in any form. Your local fish store should be able to provide you with the proper aquarium salt and dilution ratio. If you pre-mix a quantity, make sure you shake the jug well before using.
    Have you recently acquired hermies? If so, there's an awful lot you can learn just by reading forums and sites beforehand. Questions always welcomed!
    :)

3. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

I wouldn't take my chances.

4. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I would say just go with the stuff from the pet store, I got Instant Ocean (I am not sure if it is a recommended brand, but I am sure the others must be somewhat comparable in price) It was 4.99 for a box that makes 10 gallons, which will last long time. I make a little bit and keep it in the fridge. I know somewhere on this site there are recipes for small batches of most of the common brands. Hope I could help.

5. Jason

Jason Moderator

Instant Ocean is used by fish keepers around the world for salt water fish. It is the brand I use myself for my hermies and they seem to like it. It is on the expensive end though but they are worth it.

Jason

6. HermieNewbies

HermieNewbies Hi, I'm New Here!

The had Instant Ocean at PetLand for about 40 bucks a box. With the amount in that box I'd have enough for about 2 lifetimes of Hermie salt water. It would be nice if the sea salt came in smaller packaging. I don't mind dropping big bucks on our hermies (Lord know's we done alot of that so far), but it's the idea of the waste that get's me.

7. Jason

Jason Moderator

That must have been a very large box. The one I have is only 1.5 lbs and makes 5 U.S. Gallons of Salt Water. I would ask them the next time you visit the store as it does come in different size packages.

Jason

8. jengstro

jengstro (Micro Crab)

I have instant ocean also and it is a 3 pound box which makes 10 gallons and it was $4.99

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

HermieNewbies if you can't find it anywhere I can get it for you and send it. The package is like the ones Jason and Jengstro mentioned.

10. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

I have sea salt from Morton, the people who make rock salt... but I checked the labels over and over, and it's the fine grained salt, which dissolves fast, and it's also pure salt, no additives and no idioizing, or whatever that is. it was pure sodium all the way. I got it from walmart in the organic spices section. it cost me $1.88 for a container the size of a 20 oz soda bottle.

I know there's probably different preferences on this subject, but that's where I found mine, after looking in 3 different pet stores, and 4 different grocery stores, and asking everyone in sight.

it's cheap, and it's the same thing the salt water tanks have. and it's fairly easy to find, if you go to the spices section of any grocery store, or like I did, at walmart.

11. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

I just buy my sea salt at the bulk food store. It's cheaper and it does the same trick. Never had a problem, been using it for a year.

12. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Thanks for the info, I'll have to try that.

13. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I keep fish LOL I use this salt too,and that hermie bathing salt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.