1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Sky is a very kind, friendly hermit crab that I got only a month ago. I never got a chance to know him as well as my other hermit crabs, but I made great friends with him the second I met him and he will always have a significant place in my heart. He loved to climb, dig, sit under the climbing wall, and run around on my hand. He was always kind and loving to everybody he met, hermit crab or human. When I first brought him home he climbed everything in sight, dug a tunnel, the climbed and ran around some more. I don't kow exactly how Sky passed away; he dug to the bottom of the cage and...
    I love you Sky and I miss you so much! Once you meet Honey in heaven tell him/her hi for me!

2. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

are you sure he is dead?

3. flamelet

flamelet (Micro Crab)

My condolences. It is very hard and sad to deal with such things.

Check your humidity, temperature, and tank. Sometimes new crabs do pass without warning, but it's always good to be sure that the rest of your crabs are getting what they need

There is a possibility that he molted. Did Sky come all the way out of his shell- abdomen and all? Or did you just find the legsl, body, and antenae? The first time I found a molted crab, I was convinced he passed, but he'd just molted.

4. Laughs O Lot

He almost fell all the way out of his shell. He strongly smelled of dead fish. I thought and hoped it was just his old exo and it didn't fall out completely yet, but I asked my mom to check and she didn't see a new exo deep in his shell like we saw when Sherbert molted. My temperature was a couple of degrees too low, but I think the humdity was okay.

5. clover

the first time i had a molter i thought she died because from the bottom of the tank i could only see the green bottom part of her shell for like 2 months straight but she is fine to this day her molt was a LONG time ago though and she is probably due for another soon. i think i have 2 hermies molting right now maybe 3 i dont even know if one is alive and i dont know if the others are even molting. they needed to though

6. Laughs O Lot

Crusty digs a lot and I never know whether he is molting or not! It tortures me so much to not be able to see him!

7. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs, I'm so sorry about Sky. I know you were good about leaving him alone for a while to make sure he wasn't moving, and you only dug him up when you were sure he stunk like dead fish. Don't be afraid for your other crabs, they are doing well, and if you make sure you keep your tank temp in a good range, and the humidity too and you know you are feeding them well, you can rest assured that they will be okay.

Sky died within a month of you getting him, and it is very likely that the stress of being harvested and shipped and then the pet store conditions on top of that were too much for him. He is lucky that he had you and your caring in his last weeks, and now he's in crabby heavenclimbing the vines and having a great crabby time.

RIP Sky.

8. kikee

kikee (Micro Crab)

So sorry to hear about Sky. He knew how much you loved him.

9. Laughs O Lot

Thank you so much for caring about Sky and giving me advice about him until the very end! Sky thanks you in hermit crab heaven. Actually, it couldn't have been the pet stores fault. I got him from Pet Goods, an awesome store that gives the proper care to all their pets, even hermit crabs. He was better off in their hands. I was really selfish in bringing him home which would cause stress for him and no change in the amount of care. The only thing I gave him that the pet store didn't was love. I played with him, kissed him, and gave him a lot of attention, but I'm not sure if he enjoyed it. Maybe it stressed him out even more. No matter how he died it would have to be my fault.

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sorry I think it's something about having a crab for only a little that just kills you. I had snap for less then a week and maybe it was just my first crab death but his was a lot sadder than Kiwi's. I has him for about two months but if I lost anyone I have now... That would kill me. I know what you mean. Dig him a nice grave etc. I still have flowers at snaps.

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs, it may not have been the pet store, but he did go through a lot of stress from being harvested, thrown into a bag with wet newspapers with a bunch of other crabs, and then shipped to that very pet store after being packaged up. All those crabs go through a lot of stress, and we cannot always find fault other than that some crabs do not adjust well to that amount of stress on them. It is hardest on those harvested sooner, as they don't get shipped until a certain quota is met, so they stay in bad conditions longer than the ones harvested last.
    Does this make sense?
    Thinking of this made me not want to buy any more crabs to support this harvesting, and I now only adopt from those who want to find a home for their hermies. I won't support the pet stores with this any more.

12. Laughs O Lot

I feel so bad for those poor hermies! :( Thank you so much, everybody!

13. cococrisp

I never did buy any animal from a pet store except those little gold fish I had when I was 7. Even my dog is adopted. It's a rule in my family. Except for little goldfish.

14. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I like that rule, Coco. I think it's a very good one. I am the same. We adopted our two cats and our dog from shelters. Well, one cat was going to go to the shelter so we rescued him before they took him down. :)

15. Laughs O Lot

I like that rule, too! I'm going to try to start doing that. How do you adopt the pets? Do you post a message on a website or something saying you want to adopt?

16. clover

you can adopt from here or craigslist or crabbbage patch

17. cococrisp

The crabbage patch? I did not know there were adoptions there. Is it possible someone could send me a link?:confused: I know they sell crabs but are those all adopted?

18. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

19. clover

sorry! i meant uhmmm crabstreet jornal sorry!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.