1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Leigh

Discussion in 'Hermit Crab Obituaries - In Memory Of "Skip".' started by Kotachi, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kotachi

Kotachi Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay I thought I posted this already but I guess it didn't show up. I got Leigh yesterday, along with Momo, both Ruggies. She was a cute little hermie, a little shy, and didn't move around too much. I thought she would get along with Momo, but I guess not, since this morning I found her out of her shell, abdomen torn to shreds and Momo sitting next to her, eating her remains.... :(. I didn't have much time to do anything so I just seperated her, and left for school. when I got back, I found Momo in Leigh's old shell, and I was pretty surprised. I know hermit crabs will kill molluscs to get their shells...but I never knew that they'd kill each other for shells.

oh well. RIP Leigh

2. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I'm so sorry! Poor Leigh. :( Sometimes hermit crabs get into shell fights and some are cannibals. I know this is unlikely, but is it possible that Leigh could have been surface molting and Momo was eating her old exo? RIP Leigh

Welcome to the website!

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I'm sorry about Leigh. I like this name.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Oh my.....I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

5. Kotachi

Haha thanks guys, and Laughs, no, I'm pretty sure it wasn't an exo because there was bits of the stuff everywhere. I think she was trying to molt or something though

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I'm so sorry about Leigh :(
    Is Momo getting a diet rich in protein and chitin? It could be that it was a shell fight and since Leigh died, Momo didn't let it go to waste, but is there a chance he is deficient in something in his diet that he needs?

Food Group Search Page

I understand Ruggies are a bit more high maintenance than most hermit crabs, maybe even more so than Strawberries? I've only heard bits and pieces about it - I do believe I read somewhere that ruggies are carnivores? They survive on plant and animal matter - I believe they require a higher percentage of meat in their diet.

7. Kotachi

thanks crabbyjo, I'll make sure he gets more then :)

8. Kotachi

I just found out something that really ticked me off. Momo moved back into his old shell =.=

9. cococrisp

Why? Was it painted? Coco had a week where he could not decide between 2 shells and finally after 3-4 switches he decided he likes his old one. I actually liked his old one too but I don't care what they look like as long as they are happy and in a natural shell.:eek:

10. Laughs O Lot

She's ticked off because the whole reason for Leigh passing is because Momo wanted her shell. And now Momo decides he likes his old shell better! Poor Leigh. :(
    Ocean changes shells the most out of my hermit crabs. So far she has been in four different shells and has switched the four many times. Once I saw her rocking Honey's shell back and forth, which was one of the shells she has been in. She is very kind, sweet, and gentle, so I doubt she would get into a fight, but I took them away just in case. After she molted she changed into two new shells, finally settling on a caramel striped cone shaped turbo shell.

11. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

I'm very sorry to hear your los s!

I've had a couple of mine have the EXACT same thing happen, it's very saddening.

:(

12. cococrisp

Oh I get. I'm sorry even more about poor little Leigh. I thought it was all about calcium at first. Coco is the bully in my crabitat. He pushed over a smaller crab to reach the salt water tonight and the little one toppled over backward into the dish. Then Coco decided he did not want the salt water and walked away leaving the small one up side down in the bowl.:eek:

13. Kotachi

Lol that's great. And Cococrisp, mine aren't painted. I have no idea why anyone would get artificial stuff. can you guys give me a little help on what to feed him?

14. Laughs O Lot

Shrimp with it's exo skeleton is perfect for hermit crabs! You can also give them sea food like lobster. For meat I give them organic chicken veggie baby food. Some chitin foods are choya wood and cork bark. You can put them in the tank as climbing toys.

15. cococrisp

If calcium is what you mean then Laughs' suggestions are great. I would also try a calcium block. You can get them in the bird section. They are pretty much good for any animal. I even give my tortoise them. I have heard that at walmart they cost about $.99. Usually at pet stores they are more expensive but I don't like walmart or any pet store for what they do to crabs.:mad:

16. Laughs O Lot

Pet Goods is the only pet store I've been to that is actually good to animals. The hermit crabs have a 20 gallon (there are only around seven crabs) with coco fiber, extra natural shells, fresh and salt water bowls, and loads of climbing and hiding toys. There other animals also seem to be very happy! :) Only once I saw them with gravel, but that was probably because they were cleaning the tank; the other times they had coco fiber. I got Crusty and Sky there, and the crabs seem really happy. Crusty looks very healthy and is so active! Sorry for getting off topic...
    Anyways, cuttlebone is also a great calium source. It's also int he bird section and you can crush it into powder for your hermit crabs to eat. They love it!

17. cococrisp

I have a petco near me that is great.

18. Kotachi

Okay so I know that this is going off topic, but could you guys please give me some suggestion for measurements for a tank suitable for 3 to 5 hermit crabs (metric please), or any other suggestions for anything such as substrate, plants or whatever (I'm new to this)

19. Laughs O Lot

It depends on the size of the hermit crabs. Here is a sizing chart but it is in gallons. Does anybody know how to convert it to metric?
    Hermit crab size Number of Gallons
    Under small: 2 gallons
    Small: 3 gallons
    Medium: 4 gallons
    Large: 7 gallons
    Jumbo: 10 gallons
    If you type in sizing chart on a search, you can get it, too.
    oh yeah, you did post it, cococrisp! Sorry! do I have permission to steal it?

For a substrate you can use eco earth (coconut fiber) or play sand. You can get coconut fiber at any pet store in the lizard's section and you can get play sand in a hardware store. The sand should be double or triple you largest hermit crabs height.

For plants you can either get fake ones or natural ones. You can get fake ones in a craft store like Micheals. If you get eco earth, you can actually plant flowers in your crabitat. But they should be flowers on the safe food list so your hermti crabs can much ont he while they climb. When you first get eco earth, you have to put it in water so it expands. If you want to plant flowers, you must use fresh water. However, if you don't plan on planting anything, salt water is better to put the eco eath in so food has less of a chance of molding.
    Choya wood, cork bark, coconut huts, and hemp nets are some other great hiding and climbing toys that your hermit crabs can safely eat. Also, they love to hide in half logs. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any more questions!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  20. cococrisp

Yep. I feel like I just posted that size chart somewhere. Probably another thread. IF you want to make it metric find the measurements of your tank first. Then you can find the volume. Then find the volume of 1 gallon and see how many times that fits into the volume of your tank. If you want it in metric then When you measure the gallon and tank do it in metric measurement. That's how you measure your tank and you can also find the volume of gallons. Then you can get the volume that each crab needs to live in and buy your tank based on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.